SLE Equipment or Chainsaws Direct

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fulkrum78

Feb 10, 2016
Knoxville, TN
Hello!

Anyone have experience with either of these two online chainsaw dealers? Considering a Dolmar saw but no nearby dealers...

I can't answer the question dirctly, but Is the Makita brand any easier to get? What model or size are you looking at? homeowner or pro grade?

Will you ever need to get critical parts or service quickly? To me, local dealer support would be important.

I can't answer the question dirctly, but Is the Makita brand any easier to get? What model or size are you looking at? homeowner or pro grade?

Will you ever need to get critical parts or service quickly? To me, local dealer support would be important.
Probably homeowner. I like the quality and durability (And power) of the pro grade stuff, but honestly, for my uses its overkill. For ease of maintenance and dealer, Jonsered, Stihl, and Husky are located (same dealer) about five minutes away. Aside from being crap traffic right there from 4-7, it's easy peasy.

I really like the Dollar, and it's a bit higher price wise than I'd like to go, but I think I'd get my money out of it in lifespan.

Dealer wise though, hard to beat local...

I really like the Dollar, and it's a bit higher price wise than I'd like to go, but I think I'd get my money out of it in lifespan.
If you are set on the Dolmar (and I can understand that), maybe you could find a full service dealer that would be willing to ship you one, and then you would at least have someone to turn to for parts and advice. But I think you could get a lifetime of use out of a good Stihl, too. Just find the right model; they are not all created equal. Same for Husqvarna. I've had both and it's Chevy or Ford from my experiences. Others may disagree lol.

I got my Husqvarna from my ZTR/tractor dealer. He's great, gave me a substantial deal on the saw and a gallon of oil, some 50:1, and a bunch of other accessories. He stocks parts and has good mechanics.

If you are set on the Dolmar (and I can understand that), maybe you could find a full service dealer that would be willing to ship you one, and then you would at least have someone to turn to for parts and advice. But I think you could get a lifetime of use out of a good Stihl, too. Just find the right model; they are not all created equal. Same for Husqvarna. I've had both and it's Chevy or Ford from my experiences. Others may disagree lol.

I got my Husqvarna from my ZTR/tractor dealer. He's great, gave me a substantial deal on the saw and a gallon of oil, some 50:1, and a bunch of other accessories. He stocks parts and has good mechanics.
The appeal of the Dolmar for me is that for a moderate price difference, I think I'd get a lot more saw.

That said, I think in the morning I'll sneak over to the Stihl/Husky/Jons dealer and take a look. 271, 455 are what I foresee looking at...

The appeal of the Dolmar for me is that for a moderate price difference, I think I'd get a lot more saw.

That said, I think in the morning I'll sneak over to the Stihl/Husky/Jons dealer and take a look. 271, 455 are what I foresee looking at...

You will get a lot more saw in the Dolmar compared the Husky / Jonsered 450 and 455 and the 2250 and 2255 red versions. But they all cut wood and will last a long time when properly maintained.

If you really want a 50cc pro saw and want to have the support of the local dealer you referenced, consider taking a look at the Jonsered 2252 or Husky 545. Both are exact same versions of the Jonsered 2253 and Husky 550xp ( identical chassis, identicle cases, cylinders, bottom ends, etc) They are slightly detuned to appeal to a user who wants a pro saw at a bargain price.

I've got a 2252 and it's an awesome pro grade 50cc saw.

I don't think there are any bad choices. It seems to me you might be leaning towards the Dolmar because of it's construction and professional build. If so I completely understand. If you plan on buying one saw and using it as your only saw for 10, 15 or even 20 years then I think the small price difference when spread out over the saws lifespan is worth it.

You will get a lot more saw in the Dolmar compared the Husky / Jonsered 450 and 455 and the 2250 and 2255 red versions. But they all cut wood and will last a long time when properly maintained.

If you really want a 50cc pro saw and want to have the support of the local dealer you referenced, consider taking a look at the Jonsered 2252 or Husky 545. Both are exact same versions of the Jonsered 2253 and Husky 550xp ( identical chassis, identicle cases, cylinders, bottom ends, etc) They are slightly detuned to appeal to a user who wants a pro saw at a bargain price.

I've got a 2252 and it's an awesome pro grade 50cc saw.

I don't think there are any bad choices. It seems to me you might be leaning towards the Dolmar because of it's construction and professional build. If so I completely understand. If you plan on buying one saw and using it as your only saw for 10, 15 or even 20 years then I think the small price difference when spread out over the saws lifespan is worth it.
Hah, I was actually looking at the 545 on Huskys site. The addition of auto tune seems like a nice upgrade...

Hah, I was actually looking at the 545 on Huskys site. The addition of auto tune seems like a nice upgrade...

I don't want to sound like a brand pusher so I will say I like many different brands and have owned different brands over the years.

That said I think the husky 545/550 and Jonsered 2252/2253 saws are the finest 50cc pro saws currently available. Just my opinion and I've run 50cc saws by all the big companies over the years. Here's my reason

This chassis of this saw design is very thin. Very nimble. It uses an outboard clutch as opposed to an inboard clutch like on the Dolmar and Stihl. Because of this the engine cases can be made much narrower. This lends to a very nimble saw especially when cutting over head such as when limbing and stuff.

It uses a design that slants the cylinder heavily rearward instead of vertical straight up and down. So the power head weight is more rearward and closer to your hand and this lends itself to a very well balanced feeling saw.

Auto tune works as advertised. This 2252 is my first auto tune saw and I will never go back to a saw without it. Just my opinion. I've got a bigger 70cc Jonsered and no auto tune on that. Some days it runs strong , other days it feels doggy and I need to adjust it. I do a lot of cutting so I do appreciate a well tuned saw. With auto tune you never have to worry about it.

I would try google images for Husky and Jonsered saws. I find the pictures they use on their company websites are not the greatest. Heck Jonsereds website used to have the wrong saw pictured in some cases even.

Last edited:
I have no prefrance on any saw but I buy from local dealers
If you need warranty work and no close dealer would be
a bitxh

Reactions: Sprinter
Status
Not open for further replies.