Sleeving masonry chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Fate

Feeling the Heat
Jan 17, 2013
Northwest Ohio
Have chimney (twin) in center of the house , going to get a new stove as yet to be determined .
Id on tile is 6 -1/2 '' x 11-1/8 .Liner I was looking at as 7-3/8 od will this work?It's magnaflex insulflex (hey is this stuff ss or aluminum & what does it need to be by law ?)
From the top of chimney to where stove pipe is is 15-16'. Sounds like could be a bear to get in( need to ovalize)
Found I must use insulation as per 2012 fed regs. Wasn't my first choice ,didn't want to loose warm masonry radiant heat upstairs from brick .Could have insurance problems otherwise though.

thinkin' ss oval is best bet ? not flex Chimney is good inside ,tight brush goes smooth though it
gentleman at magnaflex offered me a good deal on kit but even looking at the web site I'm not at all clear on what this really is ( its Magnaflux insulflex but he mentions aluminum outer layer? Thought it was ss ,just inner?

Experienced knowledge of any of the above would be GREATLY appreciated

cheers

The best thing to do is bust out the tiles and install a round liner. The money you would spend on an oval liner and shipping, spend it on removing the flues. Best draft is from round chimney liners.

The best thing to do is bust out the tiles and install a round liner. The money you would spend on an oval liner and shipping, spend it on removing the flues. Best draft is from round chimney liners.

Next best answer please, I can think of a lot of other things I'd do first .Like not change a thing.Money saved could be spent on buying wood for inefficient stoves.
And further more you made my back ache just thinking about it.
I'll get right on it

Status
Not open for further replies.