slick fuel source comparison calculator for different fuels

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks TopShelf....that's a nice calculator. More interesting with the added graphics.

It also pretty much confirmed what Craig I. has said all along.....move the decimal 2 places to the right for the price of a gallon of heating oil, and you have the equivalent cost for pellets. If you can find them cheaper than that, burn pellets. If the cost to buy pellets is higher, then burn oil.

I guess seeing the results only confirmed the basic math I did before I purchased my stove.
With mine being a dual/multi fuel stove it made me feel like I got one up on "The man" trying not to go broke just to heat my house.

It would be interesting to know what efficienies they're assuming for all these heat sources, since Propane furnaces can vary a bit if old or brand new, as can wood and coal stoves.

dac122 said:
It would be interesting to know what efficienies they're assuming for all these heat sources, since Propane furnaces can vary a bit if old or brand new, as can wood and coal stoves.

I believe that it is only a comparison of fuels. there are way to many varibles otherwise

The following input data were used for developing each Energy Selector chart:

The thermal energy contents of the two energy sources being compared
The overall thermal efficiency for each energy source and its combustion unit
The unit price of each energy source

imacman said:
dac122 said:

dac, if you want to "play" with different efficiency numbers for different types of fuel, use this calculator:

http://pelletheat.org/3/residential/compareFuel.cfm

Agreed that is a more comprehensive calculator.

OK, I have to do it.....

With the oil spill in the Gulf, can we change the title?

Status
Not open for further replies.