slight crack in where flex vent meets stove to go up chimney, dangerous?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dmac80

Oct 27, 2014
New England
I noticed that the gasket in between the stove where the exhaust goes out of the stove and the 'flex' vent that runs up the chimney is cracked and needs replacement, I will order that. In addition, I've also noticed that the where the vent attaches to the stove it is not a perfect fit, its hard to describe but it doesn't sit perfectly flush. The stove has these "cookie jar clips" that snap on to hold the exhaust vent tight but it is very difficult to get this to attach flush. there is a small crack visible. Obviously a new gasket HELPS but is this dangerous?

I've attached a pic, notice the small crack just above the rusty looking sliver (that gasket). Quadra Fire Santa Fe Insert

Attachments

• exhaust gasket.jpg
    exhaust gasket.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 203
Looks dangerous to me. The last thing you want is CO leaking into the house.

I can't see a crack... tiny pic.

I would suggest scrapping off a lot of that glue/snot and replacing it with a piece of high temp duct tape (not duct tape, REAL duct tape)
You can wrap your joints and any cracks pretty securely with this stuff if you apply it correctly.
http://www.amazon.com/3M-High-Temperature-Flue-15-Foot/dp/B00004Z4DS

Click the thumbnail for bigger pic and look below the glue, in the middle of the thin piece that looks rust color (gasket) you will see a black sliver just above it, that is where air/gas can get in and out of that chamber. I like your idea for the tape will order some, put a new gasket in and get it as flush as possible then seal it with the tape.

20141113_083245.jpg

I installed my new gasket and also was able to get a clean and flush connection, this time I pushed both "cookie jar clips" into their tightened state at the same time. That might seem obvious in retrospect, but before I was clipping one at a time. Anyway I also installed the high temp flue tape and I feel very good about it. See attached.

Thanks for suggestion!

Reactions: briansol
great, now do the flash light test to be sure (lights off, try to find smoke)
and of course, make sure your house has a co monitor just in case

Status
Not open for further replies.