Slight dilema with dura plus triple wall install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kennyp2339

Minister of Fire
Feb 16, 2014
So here is my small predicament / question, I am preparing my basement for the new blaze king and I'm installing a new dura vent plus 6" triple wall pipe chimney. My plan is to install double wall pipe from the stove collar to the ceiling support box then from the ceiling support box install triple wall dura plus through the dinning room on the main floor (I'm going to pad it out after inspection) and then through the attic and out the roof. My question is when I go through the dinning room ceiling can I use another ceiling support box? or do I have to install the cheesy fire radiation shield kit, either way once through on the attic side I will use the insulation shield. The man reason I ask is I scored a brand new ceiling support box for dura plus and I don't wanna order and wait for the fire stop radiation shield. Plus I think the support box seems a little bit stronger and beefier. What do you guys think.

The firestop is all that is required for the second floor penetration. This has to be enclosed (chased) so the visible look is simple. It will be lost behind the chase walls. A second ceiling support is not an option. For the 2nd floor penetration you want a pass-thru not a support. The support box terminates the class A connection for transition to the the connector piping.

Begreen - thanks, I kinda new the answer, but I wanted to hear something else, looking at the design of the pipe the outside wall is for air, if I block a section (with second support box) I defeat the purpose of the pipes design.

Hey guys got real lucky yesterday, I went to an old pluming supply warehouse and they has (1) fire stop insulation shield in stock, it was a little more than advertised on the web but I bought it anyway, started the chimney, got the ceiling support boxed framed and installed, (2) lengths of triple wall in. and the ceiling into the attic hole cut, I should be able to finish it in Wednesday this week, then I'll call the town for an inspection..

Status
Not open for further replies.