slight opening in stove pipe conecction

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kayakkeith

Sep 20, 2010
West Virginia
So if you look at the pic of my stove set up you will see where the stove pipe connects to top of stove. I had to replace the straight piece as it got scratched up. When I put the replacement pipe in everything looked good until I stared a fire. I just happened to notice a small sliver of opening where the new piece connects into the reducer. The fire burned okay and if anything air was getting sucked in a nothing getting out - again its not a big gap just a very tiny one. Should it be airtight. They are sending me a new piece but I was wondering if its a big deal

Well, air tight is certainly better. As long as the pipe is secure (not in danger of coming off easily) I would try to work some stove gasket cement into the gap to plug it up.

Yup, stove gasket cement is the trick. Let it set up for a few hours and then cure it with a low fire for a few hours.

Are you using any screws on that particular connection?

I agree with all of the above :

Air tight is better = better and stronger draft; less "cold" air entering the flue
Stove/Furnace cement on ALL the joints = less chance of an air leak
Atleast 3 screws per joint on STOVE PIPE connections = less chance of an air leak and separation during cleaning

yea - used the screws but no cement or anything - contacted Woodstock and they are just going to send me a replacement - they figure it could be bent or something. They said it probably wouldn't be bad but gave me my choice of just getting a new section

It must be single wall stuff?

I wouldn't use any cement, silicone or other goo to try and patch up the buggered connection. That's just redneck and it will look bad. I use cement inside the firebox to patch a couple of seams and it looks bad, and eventually gets old and falls out.

Try and do it right without resorting to sealants.

Oh, and I would not tolerate a gap in my chimney, anywhere.

Me too but for other reasons.

Call me crazy but all of my single wall joints on my other stove got a liberal amount of furnace cement before being stuck together andthe excess was just wiped off afterwards. Just buy the furnace cement in a tube like caulking and the stuff does wonders on stovepipe joints.

Status
Not open for further replies.