Slightly Used Wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doberguy

Dec 19, 2013
Falcon, Colorado
I have only one season of burning wood under my belt.
If this question has been addressed before I appologize.
I used the search feature to no avail.

I have access to forest fire trees.
Many of the trees appear to be just bark burned.
Some trees look like the trunks exploded from the ground.

Some of the bark doesn't burn very clean.
Some pieces look like they are going to need longer to season.
Is this wood worth going after?
It looks like county is just chipping most of it.
Seems a shame to just chip it.
Anyone have any experience with this type of wood?

Thanks

It's all BTUs. If the price is right, take it. They've been feverishly cutting all of the trees killed by the Ponderosa Fire here last year, it's still good for lumber before the bugs get it.

I expect dealing with the stuff is going to be quite messy from the point you cut it down to the day you burn it.

Reactions: Ralphie Boy
If it's free, close and, most of all, safe to get then by all means get it! And quick, get it split and off the ground!:)

I went up into the forest land in Idaho and got some lodgepole from last year's forest fire burn. Looked horrible all black and ashy. This was my first time with burn wood so I didn't know anything. Anyways, I pulled my truck and trailer right next to some trees that someone else dropped. I cut a bunch of large rounds. For being so ashy and burnt looking they were good on the inside - only the bark was charred. And the bark could be knocked off is so desired. A chisel and hammer would have worked great.

I'm already at high altitiude and then I went up into the mountains. So I was at high high altitude. I kept wondering why it seemed like I wasn't getting enough oxygen while working hard - because I wasn't, even though I was breathing hard. Anyhow, I chainsawed the trees into big rounds, then wacked them with a sledge and wedge into quarters and loaded them up - about 2+ cords worth. This was good wood just a little messy to work with.

It is interesting that Lodgepole and Ponderosa pines have evolved with fire. They die quickly from fire but fire triggers them, their seeds, to reforest the burned areas. Fires can actually help them spread.

Reactions: Ralphie Boy
Thanks everyone for the replies.
So basically its just messy wood.
A few pieces I have taken the bark off.
These burn a little cleaner.

They are for free. Almost all Pinion Pine, and around 7,000 ft. I don't really feel the altitude until around 11,000 ft but I know exactly what you mean.

It is a very messy task. Everything is covered in black soot and ash. You can't put anything down or it will be black.

I threw out a pair of gloves and my pickup smelled for days. I looked like a racoon when I got home.

Thanks for the info.

Thanks everyone for the replies.
So basically its just messy wood.
A few pieces I have taken the bark off.
These burn a little cleaner.

They are for free. Almost all Pinion Pine, and around 7,000 ft. I don't really feel the altitude until around 11,000 ft but I know exactly what you mean.

It is a very messy task. Everything is covered in black soot and ash. You can't put anything down or it will be black.

I threw out a pair of gloves and my pickup smelled for days. I looked like a racoon when I got home.

Thanks for the info.

Pinion is supposedly the absolute best evergreen, up there in BTUs with some of the better hardwoods like oak and locust. It probably is worth putting on the hazmat suit and going for it.

I went up into the forest land in Idaho and got some lodgepole from last year's forest fire burn. Looked horrible all black and ashy. This was my first time with burn wood so I didn't know anything. Anyways, I pulled my truck and trailer right next to some trees that someone else dropped. I cut a bunch of large rounds. For being so ashy and burnt looking they were good on the inside - only the bark was charred. And the bark could be knocked off is so desired. A chisel and hammer would have worked great.

I'm already at high altitiude and then I went up into the mountains. So I was at high high altitude. I kept wondering why it seemed like I wasn't getting enough oxygen while working hard - because I wasn't, even though I was breathing hard. Anyhow, I chainsawed the trees into big rounds, then wacked them with a sledge and wedge into quarters and loaded them up - about 2+ cords worth. This was good wood just a little messy to work with.

It is interesting that Lodgepole and Ponderosa pines have evolved with fire. They die quickly from fire but fire triggers them, their seeds, to reforest the burned areas. Fires can actually help them spread.

Yes that is very interesting. When I was at Yellowstone 2 years ago they talked about the fire there in the 80s, and how those pines now dominate the area. Very different woods than here in Virginia!

Eeeh gad Pinion Pine! I've been on the look out for pinion. It's here in Idaho but not dense where I'm at. Like Paul Bunion said, out west Pinion is the best evergreen firewood (Doug Fir, too). Lots of it and it's free? I think I might sacrifice a few clothes and gloves and get 20 cords give or take 1 or 2.

So what if you come back looking like a raccoon. After I got the 2 cords of burnt lodgepole I stopped at the gas station and people were looking at me funny - I went into the bathroom and looked in the mirror - my clothes, hands and face were black - like a coal miner. I felt like a gangster!

Status
Not open for further replies.