Slim pickins'

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

WellSeasoned

Went out early to cut up a bit of blow downed stuff at work, but just got too muddy to go in and out with loads. I pulled out maybe 20 small rounds split then and will add to the pile for next year, moisture content is a hair above ideal.

2012-01-29133345.gif

It all adds up Backwoods, keep adding to the btu pile.

Zap

any wood is good wood. it is muddy as all getout here too. We cut down a tall blue spruce this morning, I was up that darn tree during some intense wind but we had to get it down, we have some bigger jobs coming soon and I wanted this one out of the way. Plus I'm gonna split it small enough to use in my maple syrup evaporator next month, seasoned or not!

KatWill said:
What would you say is Idea content moisture?

Ideal is 20% or less. The wood I cut today was around 27% leaner w/ bark falling off, will be good for next year. Didn't want to rut up my employers property. Once ground thawed, that was it for the morning.

KatWill said:

As you'll no doubt confirm by experiment, lower MC is better, for lighting, burning cleanly, and for minimizing loss up flue.

Splits I bring inside are mostly ~15% MC dry basis at that point. Light and burn decently.
After a week or so near the stove, down in the low teens or below, they light and burn very nicely. Can reduce draft in minutes.

CTYank said:
KatWill said:

As you'll no doubt confirm by experiment, lower MC is better, for lighting, burning cleanly, and for minimizing loss up flue.

Splits I bring inside are mostly ~15% MC dry basis at that point. Light and burn decently.
After a week or so near the stove, down in the low teens or below, they light and burn very nicely. Can reduce draft in minutes.

+1, dry wood burns soooooo nice. All of this years oak, ash, blk locust, and poplar is 15% or less. I tested some of next years and its at 22-30%. Cherry is dying real fast.

Backwoods said:
CTYank said:
KatWill said:

+1, dry wood burns soooooo nice. All of this years oak, ash, blk locust, and poplar is 15% or less. I tested some of next years and its at 22-30%. Cherry is dying real fast.

Don't you just love it when a plan comes together? Sure makes part of life simple, and makes others wonder whazzup with us.

Status
Not open for further replies.