Slipjoint flu pipes leak?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fastford

Jan 22, 2016
USA
I tried to get my Coalbrookdale Darby stove started last year, and the flu pipes from back of hearth into brick chimney leak... not sure if this is normal when its first started?

Just got place last year, I tried to start up stove and noticed smoke was coming from these slip joint pipes that go from back of furnace into brick chimney...is that normal until they get hot and the leak seals? or somethings wrong?

This came from a store by me, but as i am not the original purchaser, that store will not help me in any way... they say i can buy a new one, then they will help... go figure. so hoped someone might have some thoughts... thanks

Probably need more info and pics to diagnose the issue exactly but if it is just leaking smoke out at the connection points it will stop when you heat up the system. Working correctly a flue system sucks air IN as if flows up and out. Even a large gap would not leak smoke if working correctly.
Without anymore info I suggest:

A. Make sure all pipe is flowing uphill. Even if just slightly on any vertical. Certainly no downhills
B. Pre heat the system w a heat gun. Hand held torch. Hair dryer. Even burning some crumpled news paper.. This will get the flow moving in the right direction. Once the system is hot it should self regulate so to speak.

And add photos of your set up and we can likely help a lot more

Probably need more info and pics to diagnose the issue exactly but if it is just leaking smoke out at the connection points it will stop when you heat up the system. Working correctly a flue system sucks air IN as if flows up and out. Even a large gap would not leak smoke if working correctly.
Without anymore info I suggest:

A. Make sure all pipe is flowing uphill. Even if just slightly on any vertical. Certainly no downhills
B. Pre heat the system w a heat gun. Hand held torch. Hair dryer. Even burning some crumpled news paper.. This will get the flow moving in the right direction. Once the system is hot it should self regulate so to speak.

And add photos of your set up and we can likely help a lot more
thanks.

the connection pipes are what i meant. and i didn't think of the heat gun idea, but thats what i need. and ill grab some pics when i get home from work..

other question, whats the best way to check the chimney? do i need to? hasn't been run in ? years.. everything looks in great condition, well maintained.

chimney has the cap on top for animals and its still connected and intact. (might be hard for me to get that off cause of angle of roof is steep

theres a small access door on the bottom of the 2 story chimney.
and the stove has a slip pipe going straight into the wall through the bricks.

will add pics when i get back from work. thanks for the help.

I agree, a few pictures would help as well as knowing how long the flue is. From what I can tell this is an older multi fuel stove. You said its basically new to you. That being the case the flue and install should be inspected and cleaned if needed. I would do that first. Don't know how DIY you are but if you are unsure a pro visit would a good idea. This may help.

https://www.hearth.com/images/uploads/CoalbrookdaleDarbyManual.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.