Sloppy Install and I am concerned about using the stove.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If he offered a full refund, why didn't you just take it? I would have loved to have that offer if I was skeptical of shotty work!

It's all about the stove! :) We took a long time to decide on the right stove and color and waiting 7 weeks on it. Had I gotten a refund it could have been late November before I saw another one. Not sure if you saw it, but I have only paid a $2500 deposit. My offer to him was that I was going to get a certified installer to reinstall the stove and I would give him the difference. He would have made out well had he done that, but now he will have to deal with court and a ton of negative feed back on social media..

Can anyone tell me if I should have a "T" behind my stove instead of the liner just attaching to it? I have seen this a number of times, but no feed back on the benefits or cons, only that it will catch anything that falls down the pipe instead of the liner directing that debris to the back of the stove.

A T isn't required, but it is recommended. A T does 2 things of benefit. 1) allows a small space for anything that falls down the liner to accumulate at the bottom of the T and therefor not cause blockages in the flue itself. 2) allows for easy access for cleaning

I don't have a T on my stove, So far so good, but if I could do it over again (or when I get around to it) I will have a T put in.

Not required, but worth it IMO.

A T isn't required, but it is recommended. A T does 2 things of benefit. 1) allows a small space for anything that falls down the liner to accumulate at the bottom of the T and therefor not cause blockages in the flue itself. 2) allows for easy access for cleaning

I don't have a T on my stove, So far so good, but if I could do it over again (or when I get around to it) I will have a T put in.

Not required, but worth it IMO.
Thanks for the feedback!. :)
I am so sick of companies providing the bare minimum instead of looking out for the customers best interest and at least showing the consumer the best options. Thanks again!

Companies never look out for your best interest. Best to get educated yourself and then go from there.

I do not have a "T" but i don't have any bends....it is a direct line all the way to the chimney cap.

Companies are just made up of people, and there's a lot of people out there who suck but not all of them do. On the subject of a T, it would depend how your stove actually attaches to the liner. if you have a 90 elbow then yeah I would probably have a T instead. My insert has a connection point at roughly 45 degrees on the top so a T would actually make no sense for me.

Install looked pretty good to me. IMHO On a scale of poor-best this would be a good or better. Block off plate would have been ideal and they should have trimmed the cap. If I was the owner I would have the same sentiments and would bring this to court. Just playing devils advocate here and I'm sure I'll catch flack for it.

Hello,
I talked with Quadrafire, Duraflex and the owner of the company, and the responce I got from the owner was, I will come pick up the stove and give me mine money back..Needless to say, I was livid!

I should have added about the cap. Its just a flat piece of steel and you can see its not centered. It almost seems like its pinned in the corner.

Sounds like you have some research to perform before making any further decisions.

Hello,

..... In picture you can see a clear dent in the liner. They also went right to the stove with the pipe, instead of a T connector, which I have seen used more often than not.

Furthermore, the stove came with a kit to seal the flu. The installer did not use it, just stuffed fire blanket material in there. I was told this too would fall out.

I am greatly concerned that the issue with the Duraflex liner are a potential problem and/or fire issue, and if the way they attached the pip is okay.

I am in no way looking for a cheap way out.

Rich

According to the one photo, it does appear that an appliance connector was used at the insert. The work, within the photo of the rain cap, does not look professional to me and I cannot determine if the top plate is secured to the chimney/liner. Just on the appearance of the rain cap, I would refuse that portion of the job. I do not remember where I saw it but I think I recall a flex manufacturer indicating that the pipe to the appliance connector and the nose connection and the the pipe to the T should be sealed with some kind of material. Some manufacturers permit an ovalization of their product. Back in the 1990's, I recall one pipe manufacturer indicating that dented pipes (not flex) should discarded and not used.

Did the $5200 include the price of the stove?

Companies never look out for your best interest. Best to get educated yourself and then go from there.

I do not have a "T" but i don't have any bends....it is a direct line all the way to the chimney cap.
That's not a fair statement. He happened to be dealing with a total jackass, there are lots of reputable hearth stores out there. Every disgruntled customer ends up on here looking for an solution to an issue. There's a million other happy customers that you'll never hear from.

Reactions: p16209 and begreen

That is a totally inaccurate statement. And is very insulting to those of us who do look out for our customers best interests.

You may believe that, but as a consumer, how do you make decisions? You are forced to assume everyone is trying to screw you and then find the companies that will work with you. If you trust them, initially, you will get screwed.

You may believe that, but as a consumer, how do you make decisions? You are forced to assume everyone is trying to screw you and then find the companies that will work with you. If you trust them, initially, you will get screwed.
I am not talking as a consumer I am talking as a contractor who always acts with my customers best interests at heart. Now yes I also have to make money while doing it but My goal is always to make sure my customers heating and venting system is as safe and efficient as possible. And yes I know many other contractors in many other fields. And yes some are crooks but many are good guys trying to do right by their customers.

As a consumer do your homework. Ask for and check out references. Do a little research. Are they using top quality components or cheap stuff for a low bid? Are they in good standing with the BBB?

But no matter how hard you try as a pro you are going to have unhappy customers. We had one yesterday. I put a ladder against the edge of his roof and damaged it. We were then thrown off the property and told he was going to sue us. When I said I would gladly fix the damage at no cost he told me if I stepped foot on his property he would call the cops. It was an honest mistake and I understand him being upset but I was given no chance to make it right. Now I am sure he is going to write bad reviews anywhere he can.

Reactions: webby3650
But no matter how hard you try as a pro you are going to have unhappy customers. We had one yesterday. I put a ladder against the edge of his roof and damaged it. We were then thrown off the property and told he was going to sue us. When I said I would gladly fix the damage at no cost he told me if I stepped foot on his property he would call the cops. It was an honest mistake and I understand him being upset but I was given no chance to make it right. Now I am sure he is going to write bad reviews anywhere he can.
Sad but true.

Reactions: bholler
I can't imagine a public business (or commercial one for that matter) that won't have an unhappy customer now and then. It's how you handle it that matters. If they still complain after a good faith effort like bholler's you may end up on Judge Judy (God forbid) but if you have your ducks in a row, they're the ones who will end up looking bad. I'm still an optimist that most customers (and vendors) are good, reasonable people.

Having said that, you'd never find me on Judge Judy anyway...

Shut up, I meant the show...

Most people are trying to do the right thing. But that doesn't make them a pro. The worst kind of company is one that thinks they are pros and do shotty work unintentionally...because of inability. Sounds like this might be one of those cases.

I'm sure many customers are just horrible to deal with. Don't doubt that for a second.

You should find out what brand liner you have and verify that the installation instructions were followed.

Status
Not open for further replies.