slow burn whitfield

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ddodge

Nov 25, 2008
eastern ma.
my old whitfield advantage has stopped burning right. it's clean as can be but won't stay burning on settings 1 or 2. it's also getting an incresingly slower burn on setting 3. i take good care of her and even got a new peice of glass (420.00$). Why she gotta treat me so bad??

ddodge said:
my old whitfield advantage has stopped burning right. it's clean as can be but won't stay burning on settings 1 or 2. it's also getting an incresingly slower burn on setting 3. i take good care of her and even got a new peice of glass (420.00$). Why she gotta treat me so bad??

Just had an issue with one and think it was all related to the "eye" in the pellet drop chute. Take a peek and see if the glass is soot covered. Look at the post.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/29168/

Eric

kinsman stoves said:
ddodge said:

Just had an issue with one and think it was all related to the "eye" in the pellet drop chute. Take a peek and see if the glass is soot covered. Look at the post.

Eric
Eric, Dude
every post about whitfield you have posted maybee it is the eye
whitfield advantage stoves do not have the photo eye and the photo eye is not the cause of all problems
The job of the photo eye is Proof of fire. it lets the control board know there is a fire and it can keep going.
this photo eye has the same job that Most pellet stoves LOW limit switch has.
when the stove gets up to temperature after the start up mode it will stay running
and then when a user shuts down the stove or turns off the pellet feed the low limit switch opens and then shuts off the blower after it cools down.
THE PHOTO EYE OR THE LOW LIMIT SWITCH have NOTHING to do with HOW WELL a stove burns.

MOST OF THE TIME A STOVE NEEDS A FULL SERVICE

hearthtools said:
kinsman stoves said:
ddodge said:

Eric
Eric, Dude
whitfield advantage stoves do not have the photo eye and the photo eye is not the cause of all problems
The job of the photo eye is Proof of fire. it lets the control board know there is a fire and it can keep going.
when the stove gets up to temperature after the start up mode it will stay running
and then when a user shuts down the stove or turns off the pellet feed the low limit switch opens and then shuts off the blower after it cools down.
THE PHOTO EYE OR THE LOW LIMIT SWITCH have NOTHING to do with HOW WELL a stove burns.

ROTFLMAO

I would suspect you either have an air leak form the door or from the burn pot o-ring gasket if that model has it. Another thing to check is the combustion blower's squirrel cage. If the fins are dirty it'll burn like crap.

Is your flame slow or you just getting too many pellets or too little?
There is an adjustment on the amount of "time" the motor is on when the feed light goes on.
That "feed adjustiment" should have the slot in the adjuster straight up/down. The case shows + or - to turn it.
Some times pellets need just a bit more or less. Sometimes I thing the contacts go and you just need to turn it left/right a few times to clean it.
If you have a slow flame and it's just not burning right and burning out by overfeed, then you have exhaust problems.
Lack of air coming in due to the lack of vacuum.

hearthtools said:
kinsman stoves said:
ddodge said:

Eric
Eric, Dude

Sorry been a few days since I checked back onto this post.
See what happens when I looked at a stove I did not know anything about.
I am glad they stopped making them because in the last few days they have crept up on the Breckwells for problems. The way it is going they will pass the problems that New Englanders have. Sorry Mike.

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.