slowing feed on 55-SHPAH

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rizzo20

Jan 9, 2011
Central PA
I have a Summers Heat 55-SHPAH and I'd like to slow the auger feed down if possible. I've already used the bottom button and arrows to program it to "1" but I'd like to slow it down even more. My current settings using the bottom 3 buttons are 1-5-1.

It burns very clean and hot and I think I could slow it down even more w/o the flame burning out from fuel starvation. Any ideas?

This thread has slipped away without any answers?
I am surprised. I am no way an expert, but I did stay at a holiday inn express last night.
I just E-Mailed England's Stove and they told me what my settings should have been set to.
There are a few other threads here that detail your bottom three settings.

Bill

The OP needs to tell us what heat range he is running his stove in and the year it was manufactured.

The bottom three buttons function differently depending upon the version of the software in the controller. On some models it is only effective on heat ranges 1 & 2 on others it is used as a base point and is effective on all heat ranges.

Those adjustments are there to allow low fires to reliably burn for the majority of pellets.

The OP needs to tell us what heat range he is running his stove in and the year it was manufactured.

The bottom three buttons function differently depending upon the version of the software in the controller. On some models it is only effective on heat ranges 1 & 2 on others it is used as a base point and is effective on all heat ranges.

Those adjustments are there to allow low fires to reliably burn for the majority of pellets.

I'm running my stove at 1 feed and 9 blower. As it states in my sig, My stove is a Nov '10 model. I have the bottom 3 buttons set to 1-5-1 and I believe it is set to the slowest possible feed unless there is some sort of trick that I don't know. My goal is to burn 1 bag in 24 hrs. With this setting my stove burns a bag in about 18-20 hrs and put out more heat than I need at the very lowest setting.

Update: I took it upon myself to cut a piece of metal and placed it over the opening of the auger inside the hopper. The metal covers up about half of the exposed opening and seems to be slowing my stove down quite a bit. I will know tonight if I was able to reach my goal of 1 bag lasting 24 hrs. As of right now I'm in hour number 16 and it looks like I have more in the hopper than I would running w/o that piece of metal.

Feed gates are common on a number of stoves and are used for reducing pellet feeds. That is one way. We have no way of easily knowing if the date in a sig is install date or manufacture date.

You can also switch to a different sized pellet or density pellet to get the same effect.

It is also possible to change to a slower RPM auger.

This was done by at least one member on here to help keep a warehouse usable in the winter.

This same member also built a snout for a stove for a relative IIRC, but all that said be very careful as ducting most pellet units is a large no no.

Status
Not open for further replies.