Slowly but surely

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gnatboy911

Jan 10, 2011
Western, CO
It's a slow process, but I'm starting to get this pile split. It's my first summer collecting so I'm new to this. With a new baby in the house (born may 3rd [emoji1] ) I can only manage to work on it a little here and a little there.

This wood was actually a pile I saw on the way home with a free sign. Figured I might as well split as I unloaded the rounds from the truck.

3908fd00c266f62bae25c74938d8795a.jpg

It all adds up, keep it up

Nice score! Free is the best kind of wood.

With a new baby in the house (born may 3rd emoji1.png ) I can only manage to work on it a little here and a little there.
Congrats on the score and the future firewood helper!

A little here, a little there and down the road a bit you end up with a nice pile. I don't do marathons anymore. No need. An hour or two when I want to, works out just fine at the end of the day. I don't view it as a job. It is a hobby that has positive benefits.

Reactions: firefighterjake
Most of my 3 years has been gathered half a explorer full at a time. Every little bit helps.

Reactions: Soundchasm
i brought home a truck load of mixed cotton wood, maple, aspen, box elder, and some other stuff i have no idea what it is. i added it to the other piles i have that i need to split. I have a bunch of longer pieces i need to buck up still, so I am thinking that every day next week i will spend an hour getting a workout. especially now that most of the other big projects are out of the way....

a little bit at a time, before ya know it, it's done....besides, ya don't want to hurt yourself by over working.

i have 3 piles in the front yard, 2 in the side yard, 3-4 in the back yard, and 1 more WAY out back that I need to consolidate. It is all in various stages of being processed, so I think I am going to get a few friends over, have a bbq, and have them bring their saws. Here is my current plan:
- First step is to get the pallet structure set up, so I have a place to stack it (it is on a pretty big hill, so I am going to do something like this: https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/space-saving-wood-stack.153073/#post-2054814
- collect all the bigger log piles and load them up into the back of the truck and drive them to the back yard.
- cut them up
- collect the little stuff and load it up
- split and stack
- collect more wood
- figure out where to put it
- repeat.

Got another load yesterday. Helped my buddy that's has a tree trimming business. All of it is globe willow. The city hired him to cut out the dead stuff. So that's the best part. This stuff is dry as a bone and splits like a dream.

e982fe539245669e4adda3efb817fc47.jpg

Just curious...what fraction of a cord do you think is in the picture? I'm not sure how much wood will fit in the bed of a truck.

i get about a 1/2 cord in the back of my truck at pieces around that size.... maybe a little bit more?

Thanks for the info! Managed to get it split this afternoon in the heat.

ea4abc8e4d6d4a3b1dd888b536e4eebf.jpg

Everything that is split is what was in my truck. All very dry so it was super easy to split. The split stack in the front right was the only green wood, so it's going in a different pile. But they still split pretty easy.

The rounds behind them were cut a few weeks ago, I split one and man it was tough. Very dense and really stringy. Don't know what kind it is. Maybe elm?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.