Slumbering Giant

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hd45hunt

Feb 10, 2008
Hudson Valley NY
I recently acquired an indoor boiler called the Slumbering Giant. It is about the size of a normal household furnace and is designed to sit in the basement next to your boiler. Does anyone have any information on one of these. I have attached a picture of the plate on the front of the stove and one of the plumbing hookup on the rear of the stove. I have not been able to find any info so far with internet searches and after finding this site, figured someone on here may have heard of it or possible have more info about it.

Attachments

• boiler 1.jpg
    boiler 1.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 747
  • boiler 2.jpg
    boiler 2.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 785
It might be worth contacting the Secretary of State in WI to see if they have any history on the company - There is paperwork involved with getting to use the "Inc." on your name, so they may have some records of when/where the company existed, which might be an aid in tracking down what their current status is.

Gooserider

Was aslo wondering if anyone had any info on these units, I have a 150,000 btu unit for sale in my town for $250 with a hot water coil, sounds good, but can't fingd any info on this company on the net, anyone ever hear of them, are they under a new name now, anyone???

I just bought a slumbering giant wood boiler myself and I have all all the information as well as breakout views and installation instructions. I know this is a 4 year old post but I feel it may be worth having all this information available In case someone else has the same issues that these guys apparently had. I found mine on Craigslist in Skokie, IL (northern suburb of Chicago) of all places. This thing is an absolute tank and took three men to get it out of the basement. One awesome thing is that everything comes apart and brings the weight down from 900 lbs to about 400-500 lbs. The other great thing is that all the parts can be made If you have any fabrication skills at all. These boilers were manufactured from the mid-1970s up until about 1980. I will post some pictures and other items tonight.

Here are drawings

Attachments

• Slumbering Giant Dwg 1.pdf
    278.7 KB · Views: 367
  • Slumbering Giant Dwg 2.pdf
    292.6 KB · Views: 319
  • Slumbering Giant Dwg 3.pdf
    154.7 KB · Views: 276
  • Slumbering Giant Dwg 4.pdf
    273.7 KB · Views: 264
  • Slumbering Giant Dwg 5.pdf
    245 KB · Views: 298
  • Slumbering Giant Dwg 6.pdf
    230.7 KB · Views: 354
  • Slumbering Giant Dwg 7.pdf
    199.8 KB · Views: 314
Reactions: MotoBoyMatt
Donnieo, thanks for posting the Slumbering Giant info. I see I need to fabricate a few things. Mine does not have the scraper on top of the water jacket. My boiler is installed in my garage with about 90 feet of pex underground to mail boiler in basement. I vent straight up through garage roof using Metalbestos pipe. Do you have any drafting or cleaning issues using your main house chimney or was it already set up for a woodstove (dual flues, etc)? Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.