Small and hot challenge

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jatoxico

Minister of Fire
Aug 8, 2011
Long Island NY
It's not very cold today but cloudy and dreary 40. Fire makes it much nicer. Trying to burn a small fire so I don't over heat the place but hot enough to keep it clean.

Burning a bunch of small uglies and chopping little splits down, giving a lot of air etc. It's working so far, no smoke from the stack and stove top is 400-425.

Takes a lot of tending and air adjustments. I don't mind it's a lazy day but what do you folks (without CATS like me) do in similar situations?

3 splits, 2 on the floor, one diagonally across the other two, get to temp, cut air back. leave it be till need for reload. This time of year, those loads are not happening.

3 splits, 2 on the floor, one diagonally across the other two, get to temp, cut air back. leave it be till need for reload. This time of year, those loads are not happening.

What are you burning Hog? I have mostly locust which can be like burning coal. Either go big (and hot) or go home so I have to to chip it up. I find this much easier to do with dry oak,cherry etc.

Same conditions here just trying to get a little heat but burn clean.

Same conditions here just trying to get a little heat but burn clean.

This is where the CAT stoves probably shine but doing with burn tubes takes real skill :rolleyes:.

Its supposed to start getting cold around 2pm today with overnight temps about 4 degrees.
Oh wait, its 2:30 and 35 degrees out still.
I want cold!!!

Reactions: ScotO
It's not very cold today but cloudy and dreary 40. Fire makes it much nicer. Trying to burn a small fire so I don't over heat the place but hot enough to keep it clean.

Burning a bunch of small uglies and chopping little splits down, giving a lot of air etc. It's working so far, no smoke from the stack and stove top is 400-425.

Takes a lot of tending and air adjustments. I don't mind it's a lazy day but what do you folks (without CATS like me) do in similar situations?

Sounds like our daily weather conditions for the past month. Today is finally sunny and beautiful at 38F. I just burn a partial load, not much fiddling, though the stove is fed more frequently during the day. Usually about every 4-6 hrs instead of 8-10.

This is where the CAT stoves probably shine but doing with burn tubes takes real skill :rolleyes:.
Yeah i am finding that out that it takes a little more skill then when it is real cold.

OK i over did it with the fire it is 650 on the front of the stove. That would be great if it was cold outside.

OK i over did it with the fire it is 650 on the front of the stove. That would be great if it was cold outside.

I had to burn down my coals since frequent adding of bits and pieces was adding up so she cooled off. I'm back on track once I get the temp back up.

Really just having fun messing around. Have a chopping block just outside the door that lets me use my new little splitting hatchet.

I had to burn down my coals since frequent adding of bits and pieces was adding up so she cooled off. I'm back on track once I get the temp back up.

Really just having fun messing around. Have a chopping block just outside the door that lets me use my new little splitting hatchet.
i had to open a window.

It is so hot in the stove room the dogs left and went to the other end of the house. That heat would be perfect if it was not 38 outside.

What are you burning Hog? I have mostly locust which can be like burning coal. Either go big (and hot) or go home so I have to to chip it up. I find this much easier to do with dry oak,cherry etc.
This year, I have oak, cherry, ash and black walnut. I usually use 3 medium sized splits for this type of burn. Other times I use all pine for short, fast, hot burns. This time of year, it is full loads, down to coals, then repeat.

Status
Not open for further replies.