Small Beech / Cherry

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Have a small beech to cut up, and yes another picture of cherry.

zap

Attachments

• DSC01936.JPG
    DSC01936.JPG
    107.6 KB · Views: 347
  • DSC01935.JPG
    DSC01935.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 316
That size doesn't take long to cut up, but it surely makes good firewood.

I like scrounging trees that size.....(good half rounds)

WoodButcher

nice woods

smokinj said:
nice woods

Thanks, about 31 face cord cut in a little over a year and have not fell 1 tree, just running around cleaning up whats down.

Zap

Cherry looks like it would make a great wood. How does it burn relative to,say, oak or hickory?

Black Cherry like the stuff in the photo makes good firewood, but it doesn't have as many BTUs or burn quite as long as oak or hickory. Black Cherry can be found from south Louisiana the whole way up into Canada, but I think it is most common and reaches its largest sizes here in PA. We have forests of the stuff, and you can find plenty of 3 ft diamater or larger cherries reaching 80 or 90 feet high, I estimate. It makes a nice wood for furniture, but lots of it gets burned, too. I guess the largest single use of cherry is by Carpenter Ants, which are in every tree species here but seem to like cherry in particular.

I can't say that I've ever seen a cherry in TN. But I must confess I haven't looked. We're awash with white oak, red oak, chestnut oak, hickory, maple, tulip poplar, sourwood, black gum, and pine in my area. But I'll be damned if that cherry isn't some fine looking stuff in all these cherry pics that keep showing up! I'd like to score a face cord just for kicks n giggles.

Status
Not open for further replies.