Small Beech

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods

Attachments

• 100_4723.jpg
    100_4723.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 343
  • 100_4724.jpg
    100_4724.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 356
Wow zap. That was fast! Do you still have the thinking process that they are bad. Or, are they your friends? Hell, if they aren't flooding anything, I say you have some decent helpers that will work for food. ;-)

LOL, amazing that it is still standing. I've never seen beaver tackle hardwood, usually only aspen/alder type stuff?

That's cool zap. As backwoods said awhile back, " somebody needs to teach zap how to fell a tree." I guess with your friends, no need! Lol...... Ive been sugaring, over 1000 gallons collected so far. :)

wishlist said:
That's cool zap. As backwoods said awhile back, " somebody needs to teach zap how to fell a tree." I guess with your friends, no need! Lol...... Ive been sugaring, over 1000 gallons collected so far. :)

That must have been backwoods savage. This backwoods would never talk like that! I think I did call zap a beaver once though.

Yea, I was referring to Dennis, backwoods. Ever since his stinking Giants won I've called zap a few things! :)

Well, this is the last year they will ever win the superbowl ever! Zap know this, and that is why he cuts so much wood all the time..... To keep his mind occupied. :-/

Couldn't agree more, but why does zap stack his wood so dang perfect? Certainly, not because his Yankees are "perfect"? :)

wishlist said:
we've boiled off around 500 gallons so far, which in one week thats a record for me. Have finished off one 6 gallon bucket so far, two more buckets in the basement waiting to be finished off....

Pat53 said:
LOL, amazing that it is still standing. I've never seen beaver tackle hardwood, usually only aspen/alder type stuff?

I think it all depends what is available. My local beavers prefer Black Birch and Bigtoth Aspen among the trees available to them, but they don't have good access to enough of those two trees to keep them busy so they go after lots of other trees too. Even White Pine (very sappy) and White Oak (they seem to struggle with the heartwood) get a little bit of beaver damage. In this township I think all the beavers are on State Game Lands where they are mostly left alone. I think trapping is allowed but I don't know that anybody traps beaver here.

Pat53 said:

Pat, I was thinking that too but to our surprise, one day we found a red oak they were working on! It was about ready to fall over but I took the wood and left them to gnaw on something else. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.