Small dent in male "thread" of Class A chimney OK? (pics added)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PeteD

Jun 4, 2008
Here
One of my chimney sections (Security Chimney ASHT+ 6-inch) has a small dent in the male end, but the top surface of the male end is flat still and the outer and inner diameters of the pipe below the dent is unchanged. There is no deformation at all on the inside of the pipe.

The dent is about 1.5 inches log and 1/8 inch deep in the outside of what is really the male "thread". Pipes still thread together perfectly and there is no wobble. When pipes are threaded, IDs and ODs look normal - can't see dent.

Is this pipe OK to use? Supplier says yes, as long as threads together properly.

Unless the joint is supposed to be air tight (don't see how that could be from the design of it - no apparent sealing surfaces; there are actually bumps on the face at the bottom of the female joint which provides an air gap at that location), I think I am fine.

Thoughts? I can post a pic later if needed.

Thanks,
Pete

Here are some pics:
Here are a couple of shots of the dent:
IMG_4153.gif

IMG_4154.gif

Apparent slight gap at spot of dent looking up at seam from below (did not notice before earlier post):
IMG_4155.gif

Normal seam for comparison:
IMG_4156.gif

Here is the mating female side; no sealing surface really:
IMG_4158.gif

So, I think my choices are:
1. Use it, it's fine
2. Try to pull the dent by drilling small hole in it and inserting something (sheet metal screws to secure joint are part of the manual so a hole in exterior wall is OK).
3. Scratch and claw with supplier (the package was signed for - claim not responsible after that point) to see if they will take care of me anyway - they indicated on phone should be fine if threads together OK.
4. Eliminating the choices of 1 through 3, shell out $111 for a new one (ouch!).

Thoughts are appreciated.

Pete

If it was mine I would stick some Furnace cement in the joint and not worry about it.
Don

If the supplier thinks it's fine then ask for an exchange on a non-dented one and let them deal with it. You paid good money for the product. This should not be your problem.

Thanks all for the input. I did send photos to the supplier and they are replacing at no charge.

Pete

Well, that's a happy ending. I imagine if it had been mine, I'd have gone after it with bodywork hammers and dollies and then after I'd destroyed it beyond recognition bought a new one. %-P Rick

Particle Man said:
You could have told him you would take it for half price and then use it as the last section that the cap fits onto so you wouldn't have any heat penetration worries?

I probably would have done that, but I have a 4-foot SS outer at the top.

Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.