Small embers coming out of chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Atward

Dec 12, 2008
Western NC
Hey all,

I have a insert w/ a cat,. converter, insulated ss chimney pipe. Was just outside for a minute when I was restarting a fire, and saw small embers coming out of the chimney. I had the damper wide open, the ash pan open a bit, so the fire was going pretty good. Was burning a few pieces of poplar and several locust,. both seasoned. Is this normal? Have never noticed it before,. but the locust does spit embers,.

Yes seen it before, pretty much with the same situation you refered to. I never thought much of it, my chimney is only fourteen feet. That is what I thought contributed to my situation also.

Same thing just happened to me I think the cause of mine was I had the door open alittle to long trying to get the fire alittle hotter. Scared the crap out of me could not sleep at all last nite.

Atward said:
Hey all,

I have a insert w/ a cat,. converter, insulated ss chimney pipe. Was just outside for a minute when I was restarting a fire, and saw small embers coming out of the chimney. I had the damper wide open, the ash pan open a bit, so the fire was going pretty good. Was burning a few pieces of poplar and several locust,. both seasoned. Is this normal? Have never noticed it before,. but the locust does spit embers,.

Ash pan open: What make/model stove are you running?

The Jotul owner's manual specifically states NOT to run with the ash pan door open.

Status
Not open for further replies.