small engine question: kawasaki fb460 w/ makuni carb

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

m0jumb0

Aug 1, 2008
Middle TN
Hi all, I recently bought an older John Deere commercial walkbehind with the kawasaki fb460 12.5 horse motor with a makuni carb as a non-running project. I've been trying to get it running, but I'm having trouble getting the jets out of the carb to clean them. The motor has spark and good compression, so I'm definitely down to fuel supply issues. Does anyone have any pointers for getting the jets out of one of these? I've tried to file down a flathead screwdriver to engage the slot on the bottom of the jet, but the slot seems to be a little rounded off. I've contemplated using a screw-remover to get the thing out, but that's going to ruin the threads on it and then I'll have to track down new jets. Any suggestions appreciated.

Glowball Worming Bust said:
try soak it in xylene to loosen crud [12 hrs max] modern carb cleaner [tuolene] also works but evaporates faster. try spraying carb cleaner with spray tube attached into jets ....good luck
u sure the jets dont unscrew backwards?

I've sprayed it with tons of cleaner... I'll try soaking. will paint thinner (mineral spirits) work? I have tons of that and the carb cleaner I bought smell the same. I hadn't thought about reverse threads. I'll take a closer look when i take it off again.

MJ,

I have worked on my fair share of Jap carbs. Sometimes I use a heat gun and/or tap on the screwdriver handle to break them loose. Also try using Simple Green to soak the carb in, works wonders. You're on the right track with customizing a screwdriver.

Does that engine setup have a fuel pump? you might want to check that out.

Garnification said:
MJ,

I have worked on my fair share of Jap carbs. Sometimes I use a heat gun and/or tap on the screwdriver handle to break them loose. Also try using Simple Green to soak the carb in, works wonders. You're on the right track with customizing a screwdriver.

Does that engine setup have a fuel pump? you might want to check that out.

no fuel pump, it's gravity feed. i'll try some simple green. i just found a new bottle last night packing up my garage.

thanks everyone for the tips

I have the same engine on an old JD riding mower. Mine burns oil but the carb works fine. Why remove the jets? Clean them in place as best you can and put it back together. Pour gas (the proper amount) down into the intake manifold to get it to start up. I've had to do this to prime the engine before. The carb on this Kawi engine sits horizontal with an intake elbow that runs vertical so a nice pool of fuel can be used.

Highbeam said:
I have the same engine on an old JD riding mower. Mine burns oil but the carb works fine. Why remove the jets? Clean them in place as best you can and put it back together. Pour gas (the proper amount) down into the intake manifold to get it to start up. I've had to do this to prime the engine before. The carb on this Kawi engine sits horizontal with an intake elbow that runs vertical so a nice pool of fuel can be used.

Okay, I'll try priming it like that and see if I can get it to fire a few times at least. Then I know I'm not chasing my tail. Thanks for the suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.