Small fireplace and low mantel question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

carlossantana

Jan 20, 2015
Oceanside, NY
Hi all. This is my first post. I recently bought a house and have a shed stocked with wood and I am now looking to burn it. I have a relatively small fireplace and was looking to install an insert. The fireplace dimensions are 36" wide x 26" high in front. It's about 30" high x 23" wide at 13" in. The full depth is 21" and at that depth it's about 23" wide x 9" high. My mantel facing is only 33.5" above the hearth and the bottom of the mantel is only 41.5". From what I can tell, it seems like all inserts require more clearance to combustibles than my setup provides. Is there anything that I can do besides take out my mantel and replace it with a noncombustible one? I've read some things about mantel shields, but from what I have read, I think I'd still need more clearance than what I have but I'm not sure if I am correct. Any help would be much appreciated.
Also, I have read where some people have mentioned grinding out the back of a fireplace to make it bigger. Is this something that is commonly done? I was looking into getting a decent sized, low emitting stove - since I live in a fairly dense area - and I had my eye on the lopi large flush insert. I realize this might not be possible due to the fireplace size and mantel clearance, but any suggestions or alternatives would be appreciated. Thanks.

So the bottom fascia of the mantle, or the wood closest to the opening is 33.5" from the floor of the fireplace? How far does it stick out from the fireplace face at that point? They do make a product called a mantle shield
http://woodheatstoves.com/mantel-shield-47-p-9425.html
That can help reduce clearances. I know a lot of mantle clearances look like a sliding scale depending on how far the wood sticks out from the face. Let me dig for something. I know a few other folks already started and I don't wanna be last!

That low mantel is going to be a problem. The Lopi Answer or Country Striker S160 insert might work there though with a mantel shield.

If you can post a picture or two. They always help.

I measured the fascia and it protrudes 1". Below are some pics of the fireplace. Hopefully that gives a better idea of the situation. Thanks again for the help.
IMG_20150123_155951.jpg IMG_20150122_211249.jpg

Nice looking fire place. Check out the Jotul C350 and C450. Jotul provides detailed fireplace clearance dimensions. This is for the C350 for example.

Screen Shot 2015-01-23 at 1.31.20 PM.png

I measured the fascia and it protrudes 1". Below are some pics of the fireplace. Hopefully that gives a better idea of the situation. Thanks again for the help.
View attachment 151518 View attachment 151519
Had I taken any "before" pictures of my fireplace project, they would very much have resembled yours. My project was a success in large part from what I learned by lurking in this forum; therefore, I felt obligated to officially join the site and share with you what worked for me:

• I bought a manual door saw and removed enough of the fascia above the fireplace to meet clearance requirements. Alterations to the side fascia were not necessary.
  • I had a piece of sheet metal cut to fit the newly exposed area. A rectangle was removed from the bottom center large enough to make room for the insert but small enough to be concealed by the surround that I purchased to go with the insert.
  • Two cans of Stove Bright High Temp Paint were used to spray paint the sheet metal the color of my choice.
  • Glazing points were positioned in the wood fascia to set the painted sheet metal in place. Strips of wood trim were used to lock the sheet metal in place and to give the woodwork a nice, finished look.
  • I have a Jotul C350, one of the inserts suggested above, and have been very pleased with its performance. The complaints you will read about the fan being loud when run on high, the fans auto/manual switch being difficult to access, and the autostat being cantankerous are legitimate, but I feel, as I believe many operators do from what I have read, that overall the Jotul C350 is a quality product. (I operate the fan manually and simply adjust the fan to suit my currents whims--I like my music to be heard throughout the house, so the fan, in the grander scheme, is not so much of an issue.
I hope this is helpful and that your project truly proves to be as satisfying as mine.

Thanks again for the responses. Pine dweller, you wouldn't have a photo of your setup, would you? Either way, thanks for the great response.

I was a little confused about the heat shield. Would the best application for me be similar to this photo?
https://www.hearth.com/talk/attachments/front-of-wood-stove-jpg.99839/
So, I'd be protecting both the fascia, and the mantel?

Also, has anyone ever grinded out a tapered-in fireplace in order to fit a bigger insert than would have fir otherwise? Thanks again to everyone for all the great information.

Status
Not open for further replies.