small fireplace, convert to propane

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dave calhoun

Jan 16, 2013
I have a small fireplace that is intended only for ambiance. Normally I keep my TV in front of it but at christmas time I move the tv so we can enjoy the effect. I put a small electric log insert inside and it looks very nice actually BUT doesn't put off any heat and I doubt it would be a selling point. Sooo.....

I would like to put in a propane log set for the least amount of money. I want it to look decent at the very least. Bonus if it puts off any heat. I will be connecting it to a propane tank through the wall.

So I will contact my local dealers but if anyone has advice on what I should look for etc it would be appreciated.

You should probably measure your fireplace opening & take the dimensions to a hearth shop. Look at Direct Vent (DV) Gas Fire Place Inserts that will fit. The size of the room should also be taken into consideration if you want it heated during a power outage. There are a number of manufacturers out there that make quality products, that both look realistic & throw heat. Gas logs look nice, but for the most part, you're throwing your gas $$ up the chimney...

Reactions: Heatsource
Status
Not open for further replies.