Small Fires ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sbk12rs

Dec 29, 2009
Smithfield , RI
Its still early in the season here in RI , we have had a couple cool nights/days .

Not sure how to ask ....... is running small fires and NOT getting the stove hot a bad idea ?

My Quad 3100 flat top heats up the living room in no time . with the ceiling fans running on a slow speed , it does spread the heat around .

I'm concerned about the creosote in the SS chimney .

My Englander 30 is sitting loping along with three big splits at around 450 to 500 with a nice little fire burning. Just like it does all day long all season. And I ain't crapped up that liner in the four years I have been burning like that. Dry wood is the key.

Those three big splits just happen to be pine this time.

for instance , its 78 in the room , the stoves been on running this way for a couple hours ..... one split on a bed of coals ......

sbk12rs, keep doing what you are doing but be sure to also keep checking the chimney. New wood burners should check their chimneys once per month the first couple of years until they know for certain they are not getting creosote buildup. By that time you will know for certain that your wood is dry and dry wood is the big key to clean burning.

i got the northern light show in my stove right now.

sbk12rs said:
Its still early in the season here in RI , we have had a couple cool nights/days .

Not sure how to ask ....... is running small fires and NOT getting the stove hot a bad idea ?

My Quad 3100 flat top heats up the living room in no time . with the ceiling fans running on a slow speed , it does spread the heat around .

I'm concerned about the creosote in the SS chimney .

Do you have a flue thermometer? This can give you an idea as to whether you need to get a little more heat in the chimney -- either by opening up the draft a bit more (which will result in a hotter flue and lessen the amount of creosote build up . . . but at the expense of losing a bit of heat up the chimney and burning through wood a bit faster) or by building a single, hot fire, utilizing the secondary combustion to burn cleanly . . . and then letting the heat radiating off the coals and mass of the stove keep you warm through most of the day.

sbk12rs said:
for instance , its 78 in the room , the stoves been on running this way for a couple hours ..... one split on a bed of coals ......

How large is the room that the stove is in and how many sq ft total are being heated? Is the stove room wide open to the rest of the house or separated by doorways?

Its a bad room to heat and have the stove in ........... one corner has an archway to the bedrooms ... and a second larger arch to the kitchen and rest of house .

14X14 room i"d say .

Status
Not open for further replies.