1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
  1. BREED

BREED New Member

I just did a thorough cleaning of my Harman p38. It always surprises me when I start the stove after a good cleaning how it smells like a new stove that is burning off paint fumes for an initial 10 or 15 minutes. Also the flame is always smaller for a week or two. Any ideas why this is so.

Thanks

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. jtakeman

jtakeman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    Most likely more air flow.
  3. Mr. Spock

Mr. Spock Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW MA
    Agreed. You are probably seeing a smaller more intense flame. Hotter too which is why you get that smell working that stove to get the heat back up.
  4. CT Pellet

CT Pellet Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Torrington, CT
    Because as ash builds upon your heat exchanger, it acts as an insulation, and therefore requires more fuel to "punch" the heat through the exchanger. This means that although your pellets may be producing a lot of heat, a majority of your heat is going right out the chimney. Be sure to keep the heat exchanger clean. Work with me here BREED, this is the kind of stuff that can make me cry!
  5. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    BREED you understand that CT Pellet would really, really like you to always burn with an ash covered heat exchanger as it means more pellet sales for someone maybe even him. So it is very painful for him to steer you down the right path to enlightenment.
    Mr. Spock and CT Pellet like this.
  6. BREED

BREED New Member

Very funny all you guys. Thanks for the great info. I vow never to have a filthy heat exchanger again!
  7. kinsmanstoves

kinsmanstoves Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Kinsman, Oh 44428 Brookfield, Oh 44403
    Not that I have this problem but do not pick on your stove for it's "small flame" That is the was it was created. Just because it is small does not mean it can not "work" that flame.

Eric
  8. bmblank

bmblank Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Its not the size of the flame, but how it can flicker....
  9. CT Pellet

CT Pellet Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Torrington, CT
    Hey...I've got kids to feed, and ballet lessons to pay for and a wife who just bought a rug from LL Bean that cost way more then we can actually afford!!:)