small flame

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BREED

Jan 22, 2013
I just did a thorough cleaning of my Harman p38. It always surprises me when I start the stove after a good cleaning how it smells like a new stove that is burning off paint fumes for an initial 10 or 15 minutes. Also the flame is always smaller for a week or two. Any ideas why this is so.

Thanks

Agreed. You are probably seeing a smaller more intense flame. Hotter too which is why you get that smell working that stove to get the heat back up.

. Also the flame is always smaller for a week or two. Any ideas why this is so.

Thanks
Because as ash builds upon your heat exchanger, it acts as an insulation, and therefore requires more fuel to "punch" the heat through the exchanger. This means that although your pellets may be producing a lot of heat, a majority of your heat is going right out the chimney. Be sure to keep the heat exchanger clean. Work with me here BREED, this is the kind of stuff that can make me cry!

BREED you understand that CT Pellet would really, really like you to always burn with an ash covered heat exchanger as it means more pellet sales for someone maybe even him. So it is very painful for him to steer you down the right path to enlightenment.

Very funny all you guys. Thanks for the great info. I vow never to have a filthy heat exchanger again!

Not that I have this problem but do not pick on your stove for it's "small flame" That is the was it was created. Just because it is small does not mean it can not "work" that flame.

Eric

Its not the size of the flame, but how it can flicker....

BREED you understand that CT Pellet would really, really like you to always burn with an ash covered heat exchanger as it means more pellet sales for someone maybe even him. So it is very painful for him to steer you down the right path to enlightenment.​
Hey...I've got kids to feed, and ballet lessons to pay for and a wife who just bought a rug from LL Bean that cost way more then we can actually afford!!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.