Small hot fire in a big stove not a problem?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiffster

Jan 6, 2015
Maine
I'm deciding on a stove for my ranch house basement in Maine which will be used to heat the basement during very cold weather so I can do a little work down there, but the main purpose of the stove is for serious home heat back-up when for any reason I can't run my oil furnace. I was told that I'll have smokey fires and creosote buildup if I use a bigger model stove to heat just the basement area. But I think this assumes that I'd be loading it up full of wood and then starving a big fire to moderate the output. I don't see there would be a problem if I occasionally built small HOT fires in the larger box. Am I missing something here? Thanks for any help.

With a decent stove and dry wood you should be able to burn fires with 4-5 medium-sized splits without a problem. If you want more heat, reload in 4 hrs or so. If you want longer burns or more heat, add more wood. Regardless, dry wood is the key to good hot shorter fires.

Reactions: bioman
I burn smaller hot fires in a somewhat large woodstove all the time when I don't want quite so much heat . . . specifically in the Fall and Spring when I need to take the chill out of the home and I know the temps are going to go up.

If you're thinking you will be in the basement and want to build a small, hot fire . . . no issues . . . as long as the wood is properly seasoned and you're burning at the right temp (not too hot, not too cold) you shouldn't have an excessive build up of creosote.

Thanks very much, begreen and Jake! The stove store sales person seemed to think the way we would produce moderate heat in a large stove was by choking a large fire, so he advised a smaller stove which defeated our main purpose of having emergency house-heat capability. I'm now back to looking at the larger stoves again.

We burn smaller hot fires frequently with our milder weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.