Small insert in bedrooms a viable option?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wccountryboy

Nov 9, 2008
NC
Im in my second year of heating with wood and still trying to master moving heat. The house was origionaly an 1854 farmhouse, added onto over the the years until 1911. The stove (Englander NC30) is in the kitchen/living room which is about 800 sf. The hallway entrance is along one of the 40' walls and leads to the bedrooms, den and parlor. Getting the main room heated is esay; stepping into the hall feels like a 10* drop. Ive tried fans in the hallway to push air towads the stove, with some success, I also have the celling fans reversed do theyre pulling air up. Part of the problem is that the door top is about 2' below the celling level. While the front room can easily be brought up to 75*, its tough to get the halway above 62*. Since the bedrooms and parlor all have masonry fireplaces ( 2 chimenys built on back to back fireplaces) Im wondering if it would be possible to put small inserts in the fireplaces - along with proper liners- to get heat into the bedrooms. Any ideas on small inserts (the rooms are only about 225sf) that would meet this need? Also, any safety issues with having an insert is a relitivly small room? The desired endstate is to efficently heat the about 2k sf of the ground floor, but doors, celling height, and layout are making that a challange.
As always, the inspired guidance of the membership is much appreciated.

Unfortunately there are enough concerns, especially in a small bedroom, that it is against code. I think you'll find a strong warning in most insert/stove manuals against bedroom use too. A stove in the den or parlor is the best bet.

Status
Not open for further replies.