small leaks in primary loop

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

goodwood

Jun 19, 2011
cny
i've got 2 leaks in my black pipe connections in my primary loop, i'm losing 16 ounces of water every 24 hours from my pressurized system,i have the pressure reducing fill valve open for make up water,it would be a real pain to take it all apart to get to the leaks to fix them especially now, just wondering if i should be worried about adding new water to a closed system all winter. if not its not a big deal where the leaks are in my basement ,i was hoping they would rust shut but its been over a month, any way to seal them without taking it all apart

Yes, running on makeup water all season could be damaging. I believe corrosion from oxygenated tap water may be your primary concern. I personally couldn't sleep at night if I was losing that much water. Just me though.

I'm sure you tried the bigger wrench? As a TEMPORARY repair, some suppliers carry a waterproof tape you can seal it up with. I used it on a water heater pipe once. Try a big box store probably, or maybe Ace hardware.

goodwood said:
i've got 2 leaks in my black pipe connections in my primary loop, i'm losing 16 ounces of water every 24 hours from my pressurized system,i have the pressure reducing fill valve open for make up water,it would be a real pain to take it all apart to get to the leaks to fix them especially now, just wondering if i should be worried about adding new water to a closed system all winter. if not its not a big deal where the leaks are in my basement ,i was hoping they would rust shut but its been over a month, any way to seal them without taking it all apart
You can use some boiler sealer. I had a leaking radiator 20 years ago. I put boiler sealer in, tied a tournicut on the tube & let it leak into a coffee can. About 2 hours later it was sealed, end of problem. Last I heard Wood Guns came with 1 or 2 bottles of sealer so it does work, Randy

One other thought. There is a product called Locktite Wick & Lock or green wicking Locktite. You will need to blow the water out of the fitting with compressed air & instantly get some Locktite in the fitting. It will draw in if water isn't in the way. You can shut system pressure off easy enough & that will help, Randy

J-B Weld should do it.

in hot water said:
Band aids are temporary fixes, and sealers a last resort. Any way to cut the pipe out, install a union and fix it properly?

hr

+ 1

You could try that stuff in an aerosol can they advertise on T.V. Curious if it works like they say.

i had a couple other small drips closer to the boiler leaking through pipe dope on threaded unions that stopped on there own . i think i'll give these another week and see if they seal up before i try something, not sure if this small amount of make up water will damage my system

woodsmaster said:
in hot water said:
Band aids are temporary fixes, and sealers a last resort. Any way to cut the pipe out, install a union and fix it properly?

hr

+ 1

+ 2

I know it can be a giant pain in the rear but cutting it out and doing it right will probably save you bigger headaches down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.