small load/full air vs. large load/cut air

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

philaphire

Sep 24, 2006
Blue Bell, PA
So far this season I've been burning smaller fires at full air keeping stove top around 500 degrees F since smaller fires seem to be generally recommended. I generally only pack the stove and damper down for overnight. I'm wondering however if this is the most efficient way to do it and if I should pack it up a couple of times a day. Your thoughts on this?

Sounds like you are going to waste a lot of wood to me.

budman said:
Sounds like you are going to waste a lot of wood to me.
why?
if he uses one split that lasts say 1.5 hrs but at 500 compared to 4 splits that last say 6hrs but has to go up in temp and then down (burn) before he can reload it wouldn't be the same just more of a pita on his part cause he has to load more?

To burn wood on full air will kill that wood in no time.When you damper down you get
a slow burn and maximize on your wood supply.I do burn hot with full air in the am
after a over nite burn to clean out the chimney. :)

Large loads damped down for efficiency. Once charred and ignited the load will burn efficiently with minimal intake air, minimal user attention, and maximum burn time.

First I"ve seen of that video. Very well done. Great information..

That Vanessa is one VERY smart lady, did you notice what kind of stove she had?.... :coolsmirk:
And the guy....Is that THE John Gulland?
:)

I think everyone has this misconception that if your stove's temp is lower than 500 something bad is gonna happen..I dont think so, I basically cant run my stove about 500 for very long once its dampered down..Now remember, the temp inside that firebox is gonna be alot higher than that magnetic thermometer stuck on the outside..

Phil, what type of stove do you have? For an older non-epa airtight stove, i think there is some merit to your method, ie a couple of small hot fires only when needed. With an EPA stove, especially a cat stove, a long, low air burn would be much more efficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.