Small Log Trailer Build.......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lukem.....never built a dump but maybe someday!

Bob, I didn't get 15" axles, I got 15" tires & wheels, big difference. As for the axle, I built the one for the blue trailer as it was very simple to do as there is no suspension. The red trailers each have 2000 lb axles. The one thats open on the sides is a spring axle, and the other is a Dexter axle, or Torsion axle. Both were bought from Ebay along with the tires and wheels. To get axles, tires and wheels like those today would cost you about $250.00 minimum, not to mention the material for the trailer. Not to condusive to building a trailer like these today. The red units are about 3-4 years old now, of course those pictures were taken when they were basically new.

Craig

I love the trailers! I only have one 6x10 road trailer that I use for everything. I haul it around with the tractor and it's quite large around the yard. Some day I will get a smaller one.

+1 on this - highly suggest adding some higher wood bunks so you can cut your wood to length while it's on the trailer. You will eliminate a step in the wood handling (unloading the logs), and the wood should be easier to buck up while it's on the trailer rather than laying on the ground. A bucking stand on wheels.

Nice looking trailer(s) BTW!

I used this trailer for the first time this past weekend and did exactly this. Saved me a bunch of extra work. Little trailer hauled more than I thought, did well, didn't scrape bottom coming across the creek and took a little beating! I doubt my normal side rail type trailers will be coming out any time soon with the way this thing worked. Had the logs stacked at or above the side boards and it worked well.

I think its a keeper.............

Craig

Status
Not open for further replies.