Small Mulberry Score Right Next Door!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thistle

Minister of Fire
Dec 16, 2010
Central IA
At SE corner of my small property there's a huge Mulberry that's got to be a century old now.Not real sure,but the main trunk is somehow on the border of 4 properties -mine,neighbors to south,directly east behind me & behind me + 1 house south.With close to half growing over my SE corner backyard/garden area/driveway,its a pretty tight fit with the 4 different fences & what have you.Wed afternoon a local tree service was trimming a bunch of it back from the power lines & away from the owner's garage.They had to trim back some upper branches a bit of a 15" diameter 50' Walnut just to get to the Mulberry.

Asked them nicely about the wood & they said 'Sure!" I've seen bigger old Mulberries in old pastures,woodland edges & urban lots,but this is the tallest one I remember seeing,guessing its 75' tall.Its diameter is around 26" or so,hard to tell with it jammed against 4 fences.

They used a cherry picker over that garage,large bull rope to lower the limbs down to me over the fence.>> All the smaller stuff was already cut to length,they dropped that on the ground just inside that dilapidated old fence of my SE neighbors,I just carried it barely 30 ft to processing area. Large limbs were 3-4 ft length,I bucked them right on the spot & carried them over also.Ended up with about 4 big wheelbarrow loads of smaller stuff,probably equal amount of 8"-14" rounds.Guessing a few loads went through the chipper,counting the Walnut they had to trim out first,cause that was further away from me & I didnt want to have to climb over 3 fences & carry the wood back 100 ft from opposite side of property.

I normally get a little Mulberry each year,its great stuff to burn once dried 12-18 months.Either from cleaning up some at parents acreage,off Craigslist or when I get the occasional call from those who want one removed. (Not one this huge obviously,I'm just 1 guy with a minimal amount of equipment & my climbing days are pretty much over now ;))

The last pic of that gnarly chunk I tried to split but gave up.Only 8" at one end,10" at other.I'll get my revenge by turning that into a bowl or a vase in 3-4 years instead.;lol::-)

Attachments

• PICT0001.JPG
    PICT0001.JPG
    110 KB · Views: 160
  • PICT0002.JPG
    PICT0002.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 169
  • PICT0003.JPG
    PICT0003.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 170
  • PICT0014.JPG
    PICT0014.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 171
  • PICT0015.JPG
    PICT0015.JPG
    103 KB · Views: 185
  • PICT0026.JPG
    PICT0026.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 155
  • PICT0020.JPG
    PICT0020.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 172
its so nice when they bring it right to you, cut to length is even better. Nice score!

Sweet score Thistle. I have close to 2 cords of Mulberry for next year. I have never burned any since getting my stove installed. I hear it's as good as Locust, which is my favorite wood.

Gotta love it when it's that easy! :cool:
I've been getting a little Mulberry here and there but I'm going to let it sit for another year. I've never burned any, but I think I recall someone saying it sparks quite a bit?
A new neighbor of my MIL has a smaller one down in their back wooded area. I asked about it and he said "go ahead if you want it" but then as we talked, he mentioned that his boys have been cutting up some dead wood for outside fires. I'm thinking I'll leave the Mulberry and see if they do anything with it. I walked back onto another property behind there that had just been cleared with a rotary cutter. There are several dead standing Shingle Oaks that I might ask the owner about getting. In the meantime, I walked over to where there are two big Hedge-apple trees. I took the liberty of grabbing a couple of fallen branches that looked like they had been lying there for twenty years. My first Hedge score...about one stove-load. At least I get to try the stuff, finally. Lotsa Hedge here, but I haven't been able to score yet. Close once, but no cigar. I'm biding my time...

Makes good fence posts too. Old timers in the Midwest & elsewhere used it when it was plentiful.Not as strong as Osage/Hedge,but still as decay resistant as White Oak.I saved a chunk from the biggest round & quickly rough milled a 4" x 12" x 20" slab >> .Great for woodturning,sculpture & other small projects also.Dont see straight or clear pieces too often so I always put back a few every year when I get the opportunity.Some pieces in my stash are 20+ yrs old now,its not easy to find unless you cut your own or buy on Ebay or other retail sources.

Reactions: ScotO
Nice score Thistle! Was the tree a male or female? I have a male in the backyard, its around 25' tall.......wish it was a female.....hear the berries are good in different recipes.

Nice score Thistle! Was the tree a male or female? I have a male in the backyard, its around 25' tall.......wish it was a female.....hear the berries are good in different recipes.

sweet ripe mulberries? one of my favorites.

there was a good sized tree over the driveway of a cottage my wife and i used to rent. the tenants in the nearby 'big-house' complained about the fruit on their fr*&%kin' cars - i got home from work one day and the landlord had it cut down. we didn't have a stove at the time and all my bowmaking tools were in storage so it all went to the landfill. :mad:

no more shade, no more delicious fruit, no more wind in the boughs. but hey, our cars were clean !!!!

Wow.....it doesn't get any easier than that.....great score for sure

You got yourself some primo firewood there thistle, didnt realize they grew so big, the ones Ive seen around here are much smaller. That wood is about as good as oak and locust on the BTU scale.

Its a male,in over 20 yrs never seen any berries on it.Just to the SW barely 15 ft stood another Mulberry about 1/2 that size that was loaded w/ fruit every year.Dropped that one in 1992,built storage shed next year right where the stump was.Same big ol' house I grew up in,bought it from parents about 20 yrs ago.Loved those berries as a kid,any trees in neighborhood I'd climb all through the upper branches in mid June,clothes & hands would be stained purple & arms scratched,but I didnt care.:p Good to eat fresh,they make good jelly/jam,pies,cobbler & wine too I've heard.

One good way to attract lots of songbirds,squirrels,raccoons,opossums etc is have several Mulberries & Walnuts in the yard or close by.Can be messy at times,but makes for good watching,plus taking pics.

You got yourself some primo firewood there thistle, didnt realize they grew so big, the ones Ive seen around here are much smaller. That wood is about as good as oak and locust on the BTU scale.

Usually the ones I see are cut down before they get that big also,only in certain out of way or protected spots like pastures,forest edges etc are they that size.Ones I see in forested areas are a lot smaller,various Oaks,Hickories,Maples,Black Cherry over tops them.They dont do as well in full shade.

Nice score and that is one big mulberry. Mulberry has to be one of my most favorite woods to burn or cook with. It grows fast, burns hot and dries quick

Reactions: Thistle
Mulberry slow cutting with all the twist and turns but great firewood!

Reactions: Thistle
I have quite a few mulberry on my property male and female.I have burned quite a bit of it,best if seasoned more then 1 yr.does pop and spark a lot,but I don't mind....great heat.have about a rick this yr from a tree I cut that shaded my garden.....enjoy

Nice easy score.
Sounds like you have good neighbors :)

does pop and spark a lot
Like it's cousin hedge, but I like the fireworks as well as the BTU's. Too bad you can't get the whole tree, there is a decent amount of wood in the old timer

Really good firewood right next door? Sweet score! Beware the fireworks if you open the stove before it has burned all down to ashes...

I've burned the stuff off & on for 30 yrs,it does put on a fireworks show,almost as much as Osage/Hedge

Reactions: ScotO
Status
Not open for further replies.