Small Pellet Stoves?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mmckee83

Sep 24, 2012
So far we have had a very successful pellet burning year. We have drastically cut down on our oil consumption (still use it to heat our hot water) but that is what it is. Our pellet stove is located in the living room of our raised ranch and heats up the entire 1st floor quite nicely. In the den downstairs we have a electric fireplace to zone heat that room so we do not need to use oil but the only problem is that we just got our electric bill and I believe that it is costing a lot more then I thought it would to run that electric heater. It is set with the built in thermostat in the unit but I do not believe that it is very accurate as I think it runs 24/7, perhaps not but every time that we go down there it is on but the temp does stay consistent.

Needles to say I was curious what the smallest pellet stove is out there as I wonder if it would be more cost efficient to install one down there as well. The room is only about 400sf, so I don't know if it would be worth it or just keep going the way that we are going?

That's a tough one. Maybe a used stove or re-furbed Englander? Don't forget about installation and venting.

Are you able to add a zone of baseboard heat from your boiler? Not sure if that's the most cost effective solution though.

Reactions: Lousyweather
Small size does not mean cheapest. Santa Fe ($2200) or Castile ($2900) are the smallest foot print and BTU in the Quad line. Heatilator PS-35 is also small and around $1500.00. The P43 will not do you wrong but has a $2800 price tag. As for venting from a basement, I would not go less than 4" diameter and you are looking at starting price of $450 for pipe and the install cost.

Eric

That's what I was going to say imacman, though it would be a 400sqft oven with that that stove. I suppose you could just burn intermitently while you are down there.

I have an old Whitfield in my family room downstairs. I think it is rated from 8000-27000 btus. We use it only when we are down there, generally on low once the room is heated. After more than 3 hours we do need to open a window! The room is 23x21

If you are handy go used, especially since it is a secondary heat source. I was in the same spot as you. Needed a second source to heat a section of my home that was not covered by my wood stove. Make sure it is thermostat compatible and cruze craigslist.

And you bring up a good point. If you are looking for a quick ROI..go used. If you are just looking for ease of use and warmth..go pay retail for a Harman.

Keep in mind you are going to have to carry pellets to that stove. Any option for a gas heater? Also if you can get some air from a legal air circulator in place, you might keep it warmer from air borrowed from upstairs, plus that air circulator will have the added benefit of dealing with any humidity issue you may experience in the summer. If your air is a little warmer down stairs, the electric heat booster could be used only when you are in the room, and that will save you $.

Status
Not open for further replies.