Small, portable solar panel for lights by Noma

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lake Girl

Nov 12, 2011
NW Ontario
Not in the league of your solar arrays but bought two of these Noma products to provide temporary solar lighting for an unserviced yard.
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/noma-solar-panel-led-hanging-light-0526784p.html#.Vdp7SvlViko

Charged up batteries on both panels and used them with one light each in our yard near the port-a-potties and in the tent the evening after my son's wedding. We went down to have a bonfire with the new relatives from Japan. They got the full rural Canada experience while here complete with "shore lunch" style fish fry at the wedding (along with some more traditional Japanese dishes), bonfire with s'mores.

I was really impressed with how much light they provided in an otherwise very dark yard (eight LEDs) and that they were still shining brightly the next day (14 hours later). Well worth the $50 each for a portable light system.

One day I may be ready for that solar array but no house there yet!;lol

Great idea. I've used similar solar lights for a number of years, mostly a previous version of the Nokero N222 (did not have the phone charger feature). I use two over my computer desk which provide sufficient lighting for the keyboard and desk, one over the coffee maker in the early morning, and we also use these for lighting the tent when camping or at other strategic places. There are several other mfr's of similar lighting, d.light is one of these and I have one Learning Light which lights up a whole room enough for many activities.

Some of the Nokero use Nimh batteries, which are replaceable. Many of the solar lights use li-ion batteries which are very good and last a long time but generally are not replaceable.

The Noma panel uses the Ni-MH batteries. Offered them to my son's best friend to use in the camper for We-Fest but he was worried the panel might get stolen. Have to experiment with how well they recharge through glass windows. Will be a great back-up light system for power interruptions that seem to be increasing again but no likely fixed position outside the house for recharging close to where they would be used. House is oriented for the lake view not the sun...

Status
Not open for further replies.