Small Section Of Firebrick Was Glowing!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

turbocruiser

Feeling the Heat
Jun 10, 2011
Rocky Mountains Majesty
Wow, I thought that I was seeing something but after taking a lot closer look I'm sure I saw a small section of firebrick glowing tonight! The stove top temperature was a really reasonable 400 and there wasn't any indication anywhere of an overfire but either I've always missed it or it has never happened! Is this anything to be a bit concerned about? Thanks and sorry again for all the stupid questions I ask you all to answer.

Happens on my enerzone all the time.

Stuff glowing in the firebox is usually ok. It's when things on the outside are glowing that you need to worry.

I have had the tubes glow and the firebrick reflect when the light is just right on a few occasions.

Pete

The edges of bricks, baffles, and burn tubes all get a glow on for me in the stove. In the kiln, it's a different story.

216346_10150174242159587_785094586_6867034_7127504_n.jpg

I thought my brick was glowing on a few occasions, but then realized it was the reflection of the glow of the splits next to the brick.
Not saying your ain't, just what I experienced.

Okay thanks as always folks. I am pretty sure I saw the firebrick glowing but it might have been a bit of reflection too. If I see it again, I'll report back, meanwhile its good to know that it isn't unheard of or definitely dangerous. Thanks Again.

In my forge they glow all the time. As far as the bricks are concerned they will be fine. As far as the stove - as long as you are with in comfortable temp ranges it will be fine as well.

I would assume there was a perfect storm of air, wood and heat with some natural tunnel channeling flame directly onto a brick causing it to glow. As others have said - it happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.