Small shop vac?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Easy Livin’ 3000

Minister of Fire
Dec 23, 2015
SEPA
My 16 gallon Ridgid vac is great, but so unwieldy.

Have narrowed it down to the vacmaster line, 2.5 gallon, 2 hp (armor all, harbor freight, etc.). About 30 clams.

Tasks will be quick clean ups and small blowing jobs.

Any other suggestions?

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
had this one from HD for 8 or 10 years, never had any issue, basically the same. they had a sale buy a big one get this one free, but i would never buy anything at HF when you can get the same at lowes or HD for the same money its not going to be the same quality. i got a chain HF had on sale, home depot gave me their sale price if you catch the right person that doesnt care about the difference

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Stinger-2-5-Gal-1-75-Peak-HP-Compact-Wet-Dry-Vac-WD2025/100021998

I just wish they came with a 20 ft cord, a 6ft cord is worthless on a vac. I also have a small one, much nicer to use then the big ones for small jobs.

Anyone use one of these for both your wood stove as well as small shop and around the house use, can they vacuum water if needed. Might be nice to have an ash vac if it also can do other stuff.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Shop-Vac-S...hop-Vac&CAWELAID=&kpid=1000107783&CAGPSPN=pla{ifdyn:dyn}&k_clickID=13d0a003-a416-4804-8e4f-791a45ed396d&msclkid=48047b726b9b1325e67221d1bedc7133

i only use the small one for around the garage and cleaning the cars. the big one i have is this and thats what i use to clean the wood furnace/stove, you can get the filters rated for ash then i take it outside and blow it out. they have all these filters in stock normally. its big but it does all the other stuff like blow leaves, it does good at wet too

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-...y-Vac-with-Detachable-Blower-WD1680/202554974

Ive had good luck with the Rigid brand vacs from Home Depot, so I have a few. I keep the low profile 4 gal unit in the house for similar tasks, Christmas tree needles, broken glassware, etc.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-4-Gal-5-0-Peak-HP-Portable-Wet-Dry-Vac-WD4070/202077241

I like that they replaced the typical 1-1/8” hose with a medium 1-7/8” hose, critical when vacuuming up things like broken glass. They have an adaptor, so that you can still use standard household 1-1/4” devices on it, when you want.

Reactions: saewoody
had this one from HD for 8 or 10 years, never had any issue, basically the same. they had a sale buy a big one get this one free, but i would never buy anything at HF when you can get the same at lowes or HD for the same money its not going to be the same quality. i got a chain HF had on sale, home depot gave me their sale price if you catch the right person that doesnt care about the difference

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Stinger-2-5-Gal-1-75-Peak-HP-Compact-Wet-Dry-Vac-WD2025/100021998
I'd generally agree with your statement historically, but there is becoming lots of overlap between HF, HD, Lowe's, WM, Craftsman, etc. as the Chinese manufacturers make everyone's stuff. Electric log splitter from HF needed a new part, called the number in the manual, they gave another number, and that was the Boss number. The small vacs are all made by Vacmaster, exact specs, different colors, sometimes other small cosmetic differences.

Where HD and Lowe's win, for me, is their superior warranties. With HF, 90 days and you are done.

i bought some stuff there just nothing electrical or battery. had good luck with sockets, jacks, jack stands, use them quite a bit as i work on stuff for people, plus all my crap. i just look it over first and if it looks like its built well.

the small vacuum i dont use much because it not very powerful and the thin stuff gets by the filter, not a big deal in the garage or car mostly but in the house need a heavy filter for stuff like ash and saw dust, and the husky one you can get the better filters. i dont think you can for the small one and it would just choke it down more anyway. the big one has more than twice the power, i use it for blowing leaves and such its got a ton of power and works pretty good for that too

I he am becoming more & more of a rigid owner, Their power tools are made by Emerson electric, The company that made the Craftsman electric tools of the 70's that were bullet proof. I almost think their shop vac is the same manufacturer as the old craftsman vacs that lasted for ever.

Reactions: Ashful
Ive had good luck with the Rigid brand vacs from Home Depot, so I have a few. I keep the low profile 4 gal unit in the house for similar tasks, Christmas tree needles, broken glassware, etc.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-4-Gal-5-0-Peak-HP-Portable-Wet-Dry-Vac-WD4070/202077241

I like that they replaced the typical 1-1/8” hose with a medium 1-7/8” hose, critical when vacuuming up things like broken glass. They have an adaptor, so that you can still use standard household 1-1/4” devices on it, when you want.

Last year I bought the same one ashful posted the link to. It was for the exact reason that ED3000 posted his question. I got tired of pulling out the old 16 gallon Sears shop vac. I got it for free about 20 years ago, so I held onto it for way longer than I should. Sold it for $35!

The Rigid vac in the link is perfect for what I need. I also do odd jobs in the summer time, and this one is nice and portable. The only real down side to it is that there is really nowhere to store the hose. It may also be above the price point that ED3000 is looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Rigid vac in the link is perfect for what I need. I also do odd jobs in the summer time, and this one is nice and portable. The only real down side to it is that there is really nowhere to store the hose.
I just loop it on top of the vac, and knot it back on itself, like this.

IMG_4598.JPG

It can also be unplugged, and wrapped in a double interwoven coil, and set on top, like this:

IMG_4600.JPG

This is the "baby" shop vac, great for use in the house. I have no comment on price, I don't remember what I paid for it, and never checked competitive products. I like the big Ridgid I bought for my shop several years earlier so much, that I just grabbed this without shopping around, when I needed one for the house.

Last edited: