Small Splits

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

macmaine

Sep 8, 2011
Southern Maine
Observation:

Reloading on coals: I get much better temps the smaller the splits.
Rather than stuffing in 2-3 big chunks, I place 5-6 smaller size splits.
More air in between allows the reload to get up to 350-400 range much quicker :)

Another benefit is I think they dry out quicker when split.

I think in the future I will rent a splitter when I get my wood so that it has a whole year
to enjoy the double or treble surface area

Tom

I don't know what stove you have but I find it's hard to get good coals from an overnight burn with small splits. I like 1 big split in the back of my Fireview on each load.

I like to use wide slabs for burning down coals. I pull the coals forward into a wide row with a groove through the middle. Then I lay a slab made from the edge of a round on top. The groove allows air to blow from the front of the stove to the back under the slab, which makes the slab burn and also burns down the coals. In the morning, when I typically have a bunch of coals, I can get a two hour fire with a 2 inch thick slab.

If you are buying split firewood I suggest you try splitting some by hand to make smaller splits. Re-splitting is the easiest type of splitting, and if you want to split only a fraction of your supply you can pick the easy ones.

Yes you get heat faster, but you also need to reload sooner. Try a few small splits mixed with a couple large splits.
As for seasoning time, unless you have limited room, get further ahead on your wood supply so that larger sizes have the time they need to season.

This will vary depending on the species of wood and the stove size.

However, if large splits are a problem even when loading on hot coals, then most likely the large splits are not seasoned well. Also, the position of the logs in the stove make a huge difference. If I just put 3 large splits across the bottom of the stove side-by-side, they burn but it's not that great. If I set them in an upside down V, then things work much better since they can "share heat" from one another and help each other perpetuate the fire.

pen

MacMaine . . . you're not crazy . . . I tend to find that I can get nearly as long a burn by filling the firebox with small to medium sized splits as I can with fewer larger splits (although I still tend to still place at least one or two larger splits in for the overnight or overday burn out of habit) . . . and the small to medium sized splits allow you to reach the right temp faster.

macmaine said:
Observation:

Reloading on coals: I get much better temps the smaller the splits.
Rather than stuffing in 2-3 big chunks, I place 5-6 smaller size splits.
More air in between allows the reload to get up to 350-400 range much quicker :)

I think in the future I will rent a splitter when I get my wood so that it has a whole year

Tom

Right Tom. Wood won't dry until it has been split. However, trying to dry the wood in the stove is not so good. Getting a splitter is good and getting your wood a year ahead is simply a super idea. Methinks you'll do just fine although perhaps a bit of a struggle yet this winter. I will also agree that the bigger splits will give you a longer burn and for sure you need some bigger splits for overnight fires.

macmaine said:
Observation:

Tom

Now you got it :)
Cut, Split & Stacked (CSS) for at least a year before it goes in the stove. (Oak 2 or more)
Then you get heat faster, longer with cleaner burning.
And you can use thicker dry splits for longer burn times. Dry is the "Key" :)

Most here "Know" they dry out quicker when split"
Now you know ;)

Thanks to all for the tips
I am one year ahead at this point
I do like the mix and match philosophy
With a big split in the back for overnight
With medium splits admixed

Now we need some snow!!

Tomorrow night or Thursday you should get some snow.

Status
Not open for further replies.