Small Stove Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bcnu

Dec 1, 2006
I'm looking for a used small stove to heat the living room of an older mobile home. Missed a Jotul 602 and just saw a VC Intrepid 2 1990 model on Craigslist. I don't want to buy something and then have to cart it off to the dump. Any suggestions on what stoves to look for or stay away from. Anyone else gone thru something like this?

Also, for a mobile home, please keep in mind that an OAK is required for a up to code install. Not all stoves are rated for mobile home applications. Something to look into when you find a model you like.

(OAK = Outside Air Kit)

Just stumbled on this thread during a search. Here's a bit more info for the 602:

I'd have no qualms about picking up a used 602, but it helps to know what one is looking for. Typically someone is selling the stove because it doesn't quite work the way it used to. That is often due to age or deferred maintenance. This usually shows up in warped and or cracked burn plates. These parts are sacrificial and last about 10-15 years with normal burning. The good news is that they are replaceable without a rebuild. With new burn plates, the stove becomes just about like new. If you can get an older 602 for under $250 that is in good shape except for needing burn plate replacement, and it fits your needs, I'd go for it.

Another thing to look for is a crack in the back, under the vent pipe. Usually this happens if it is overfired or if it has been exposed to too much heat. If someone has tried to cram too much wood into the firebox it's possible to displace the top burn plate. If this happens at the back of the stove then the firepath is all at the back of the stove and it can overheat there. Other than that normal wear and tear are what one should watch for. They have great enameling, so if the enamel has several flaws, chips or cracks, I'd consider that a sign of neglect.

The good news is that this stove is really simple. I can tell its condition in a 1-2 minute inspection. Once you are familiar with them, they are very easy to run and maintain. If stove is in primo condition and shows little use, I would pay up to about $500 for one. If you find a stove you are considering and can take some shots of the stove, the interior and the back, I'd be happy to review them for you.

BeGreen said:
Just stumbled on this thread during a search. Here's a bit more info for the 602:
I'd have no qualms about picking up a used 602, but it helps to know what one is looking for. Typically someone is selling the stove because it doesn't quite work the way it used to. That is often due to age or deferred maintenance. This usually shows up in warped and or cracked burn plates. These parts are sacrificial and last about 10-15 years with normal burning. The good news is that they are replaceable without a rebuild. With new burn plates, the stove becomes just about like new. If you can get an older 602 for under $250 that is in good shape except for needing burn plate replacement, and it fits your needs, I'd go for it.
Another thing to look for is a crack in the back, under the vent pipe. Usually this happens if it is overfired or if it has been exposed to too much heat. If someone has tried to cram too much wood into the firebox it's possible to displace the top burn plate. If this happens at the back of the stove then the firepath is all at the back of the stove and it can overheat there. Other than that normal wear and tear are what one should watch for. They have great enameling, so if the enamel has several flaws, chips or cracks, I'd consider that a sign of neglect.
The good news is that this stove is really simple. I can tell its condition in a 1-2 minute inspection. Once you are familiar with them, they are very easy to run and maintain. If stove is in primo condition and shows little use, I would pay up to about $500 for one. If you find a stove you are considering and can take some shots of the stove, the interior and the back, I'd be happy to review them for you.

Nailed it BG...nice going. :coolsmile:

To add to this: the 602 is probably the most used stove, ever. We have had 2 of them: a green porcelain 602 used and abused hard as a sauna stove, and another original 602 as a workshop heater. The burn plates are easily and cheaply done by any welder out of 1/4" or so sheet steel. Burned correctly, it is like a "pre non-cat". BG got it right-the burn plates are sacrificial. But $500. for a 20+ year old stove......well. Maybe for one of the EPA 602's.

OK, $450. :) If it's primo and enameled. That would get you about 15 years of nice heat. Not too bad for a good looking little box stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.