Small White Oak Score

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Longstreet

Feeling the Heat
Mar 14, 2014
Atlanta
About two weeks ago, I noticed a tree had fallen in a yard on the way to the office. And by house, I mean single wide in not the nicest part of town. So I wasn't going to knock and ask what their plans were for it after it was cut down to size.

A few days ago, I noticed they had put up a hand written sign (on a cardboard box) "FREE FIREWOOD." Nice. I stopped in my semi-daily driver, 2001 BRG Miata, and my hopes were confirmed - White oak.

I stopped by in my truck yesterday. Not the straightest of wood (yard tree) but I was able to get a decent sized pick up load only having to run the saw 2 or 3 times. Have not finished processing it yet, but it will be a nice late summer addition to the stacks to be burned in a few years. 1/3 a cord(?) of white oak goes a long way down here in Hotlanta.

Might go back this weekend. The 25+ inch trunks are a little bit much for the 450 rancher but it's hard to turn down easy pickings.

White Oak.jpgSet UP.jpg Helper.jpg Processing1.jpg

Nice score man, I've never had the privilege to work with (or burn) white oak.

single wide in not the nicest part of town. So I wasn't going to knock and ask what their plans were for it
I woulda knocked; I'd risk getting shot or stabbed for a chance at some White Oak. ;lol
"FREE FIREWOOD." Nice. I stopped in my semi-daily driver....stopped by in my truck yesterday
A guy that knows I get wood called me and said 'They just cut down a little Hedge-apple next door, is that any good to burn?' I said 'I'll be right over.' I didn't stop to mess with the trailer. ;lol
005.JPG
I've never had the privilege to work with (or burn) white oak.
Most fragrant wood of all to work with, IMO. If you ever split some White Oak rounds that have been sitting around for a couple years, you'll know why they make wine and whiskey barrels out of it.

Nice! I've had a fair share of white oak come my way recently. I too love the smell when splitting and the stacks smell nice for weeks after stacking. Hedge is some good stuff too. Will be burning it for the first time this winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.