Small wood/coal stove in attached garage...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oldpaddy

Nov 1, 2009
Cape Cod
Hi all great site!
I live on a small island off of anartica that has the weather charactoristics of south eastern mass. We don't have any biulding codes or any other worries. My question is, what's the minium hieght of the flue that I would need for my stove to work properly?
Thanks!

Depends on the stove and the flue diameter. Probably around 15 feet for a 6 inch flue.

Did I read that right - a small island off Antarctica? This is just begging for more details....

oldpaddy said:
Thanks.
Does the flue HAVE to be above the peak of the roof?

Does not have to be, as long as you follow the 10-3-2 rule. However, if the building works better than your chimney for drafting out fumes you could get all sorts of nasties in your garage. One way to keep this from happening is to make sure your chimney is above the living area of the building.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.