Small Wood Stove Advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't been able to work on this project for a while, but I'm back to finish it this week. I am almost done with the hearth pad, I took Begreen's advice and used a couple sheets of Durock. I did attach a bottom layer of the lighter gauge Home Depot metal studs laid flat, just for my peace of mind. I've got some slate floor tile to cover the pad.

I've got couple more questions, if anyone can help. In researching the chimney and accessories, I was leaning towards buying Supervent from Lowes, because of the low cost. From what I read on this forum it is a decent product. Is that correct? On a website (http://www.olympiachimney.com/products/cat/VCAA/VCASP) selling Ventis products, I read that their chimney insulation is non-carcinogenic. Are carcinogens in less expensive chimneys something to worry about?

Thanks,

Zach

Sounds like a sales pitch. Whatever is in there is totally encased in a stainless wrapper. Check www.dynamitebuys.com for pricing of pipe. They offer good service and pricing.

Thanks.

I am attaching slate tiles to hardibacker for wall protection, to match the pad. I'm thinking that the sheets might end up pretty heavy and want good support for them. Would using metal furring strips for spacers over the sheetrock and studs be alright? I want to be able to put many screws up the height of the stud rather than four ceramic spacers.

Cut long, 3" wide strips of the 1/2" backerboard and then double them up to create the 1" shims. Be sure to leave a 1" gap at bottom and top so that air can easily convect upward behind the panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.