1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Small Wood Stove Advice

Post in 'Classic Wood Stove Forums (prior to approx. 1993)' started by zaxxon, Oct 2, 2012.

1. zaxxon

zaxxon New Member

I haven't been able to work on this project for a while, but I'm back to finish it this week. I am almost done with the hearth pad, I took Begreen's advice and used a couple sheets of Durock. I did attach a bottom layer of the lighter gauge Home Depot metal studs laid flat, just for my peace of mind. I've got some slate floor tile to cover the pad.

I've got couple more questions, if anyone can help. In researching the chimney and accessories, I was leaning towards buying Supervent from Lowes, because of the low cost. From what I read on this forum it is a decent product. Is that correct? On a website (http://www.olympiachimney.com/products/cat/VCAA/VCASP) selling Ventis products, I read that their chimney insulation is non-carcinogenic. Are carcinogens in less expensive chimneys something to worry about?

Thanks,

Zach

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Sounds like a sales pitch. Whatever is in there is totally encased in a stainless wrapper. Check www.dynamitebuys.com for pricing of pipe. They offer good service and pricing.
  3. zaxxon

zaxxon New Member

Thanks.

I am attaching slate tiles to hardibacker for wall protection, to match the pad. I'm thinking that the sheets might end up pretty heavy and want good support for them. Would using metal furring strips for spacers over the sheetrock and studs be alright? I want to be able to put many screws up the height of the stud rather than four ceramic spacers.
  4. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Cut long, 3" wide strips of the 1/2" backerboard and then double them up to create the 1" shims. Be sure to leave a 1" gap at bottom and top so that air can easily convect upward behind the panel.
  5. zaxxon

zaxxon New Member

Thanks Begreen, I got an extra sheet of backer and will put up the wall protection tomorrow. We're going to do a test burn in the stove tonight (the stove meets its clearance to combustibles requirements without the wall protection, I just want it there for extra protection).

And thanks to the poster of this thread:
    http://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/selkirk-supervent-installation-begins.75341/

It was very helpful in the installation.