Small Wood Stove Purchase Advice Needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

salsorrentino

Hearth Supporter
May 21, 2008
I'm trying to cut back on oil costs for home heating. The house is a ranch style. 975 square feet. Central living room running from the front to back of house. Two bedrooms and a bath on one side of the living room and a kitchen and another bed on the other. The living room is 20 feet from front to back and 15 feet wide. This room has a fireplace on the back wall of this living room. So, a 300 square foot living room.

I'd like to put a small stove on the fireplace hearth and run an insulated stainless chimney liner up the approximately 15' fireplace chimney.

In the long run a no muss no fuss stove would be best. One that minimizes smoke in the living area, is easy to load and clean ashes, one that does not overheat the house, offers a good view of the fire and has glass that stays relatively clean. A long heating time and outside air adapter would also be nice. By the way, how is the outside air connected to the stove?

Greatly appreciate your help!

Greetings Sal. Putting a stove on the fireplace hearth may mean choosing a stove that is rear exit unless the fireplace is large enough for the stove to fit into the fireplace and top vent. What's the size and depth of the fireplace opening? Is this a masonry fireplace? I'm tempted to recommend a PE Vista insert instead of a freestander, but there may be better fits depending on the setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.