small world...... a short englander 25 pvdc auger motor story

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

billybono

Nov 20, 2008
salmon county ny
last week it was cold here in upstate ny, so i ran my englander a little hotter than usual. well before i went to bed it started making a squealing noise. i was a litle drunk, said screw it ill check it out in the morning. well i was awoken to smoke in my house. the lower auger bearing siezed, and the fire followed the pellets down the now stationary auger. this melted the composite gasket, thus filling the house with somke. the englander was alerady in shutdown mode when i woke up to check things out.

i took everything apart, discovered the shot bearing. ordered one from england stove works wenesday night and it arrived monday. so i have to give a shout out to england stove works for the prompt shipping. it was exactly what i had expected.

so i knew the lower auger motor was going to be suspect from running and not turning for a few hours. but i ran it and it turned and seemed fine. when the new bearing arrived last night i put everything together and as i had thought the lower motor had a flat spot in it and was shot. now im down a few more days, sitting on a ton of pellets id like to burn before the heating season is over, with my gas furnace running 6 hours a day.

after doing a little reasearch on this site i found a few threads about other replacement motors. i clicked on a few then find this one

http://www.gleasonavery.com/catalog/pellet-corn-stove-motors.html

start looking around the site an find out they are an hour away in auburn ny. and as it just so happens ive been working just up the street at the auburn prison for 6 months now.

i think the lady who answered the door at 7 am this morning thought me and my partner were there to rob the place. i dont think they really get many walk in sales. but she had the motor, wired it to a ccw rotation and had it ready for me at 3.30 when i got out of work. 79.99 plus tax. no shipping(obviously) great people and a nicer built motor than the oem that came off the stove.

so the stove is up and running.... and life is good

but it is a small ,small world

billybono

billybono said:
... so i knew the lower auger motor was going to be suspect from running and not turning for a few hours. but i ran it and it turned and seemed fine. when the new bearing arrived last night i put everything together and as i had thought the lower motor had a flat spot in it and was shot. billybono

I'm not an electrician, so could you elaborate a bit on this 'flat spot'?

I'm assuming the armature was gripped solid by the gearbox, which was in turn held by the frozen auger bearing. I'm also assuming the stove shut down but the power to the lower auger motor would have been constant for at least the 20 - 45 minutes the control board would have allowed to keep it turning until the temperature dropped to set-point.

I'd have thought this would be the same as gripping the gearbox shaft with vice-grips and plugging in the motor and leaving it for 1/2 hour. Wouldn't this burn out the winding wire and effectively cut power to it?

Oh yeah, how old is your stove? There was a thread here just the other day on the subject of greasing those auger bearings, so this is something to consider as a maintenance item maybe...

Funny, I work in Auburn on Division st. the building with cartoons on the outside walls.

Status
Not open for further replies.