small Yosemite into fireplace. want to go larger

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mtbmike

Dec 29, 2011
central ma
hi, i bought a quad Yosemite a couple years ago. i wanted a stove to sit in front of my fireplace, and the lintel is 29 inches high. The Yosemite is rear vented and the exhaust fit nicely under the lentil and into a liner up the chimney.

Now i see i've bought too small a stove. i can't stay with my existing vent setup and go larger. it seems to me that a larger, top vented stove would work if i was to cut a hole in the fireplace brick like 5 feet up and connect to the liner there. I can't see this being cost-prohibitive. Opinions, please?

How large an area are you trying to heat? How well insulated is the house?

Woodstock has large stoves that have a 27" rear exit height with the short leg kit. Have you considered one of them? The Ideal Steel for example is 27.5" with the min. leg height. The Progress Hybrid is 25 3/4" with no ashpan and short legs.

Alternatively your plan should work as long as mantel clearances are not an issue. Got a picture of the current setup that you can post?

How much larger do you want to go? In addition to the mentioned Woodstock stoves, the Quadrafire Explorer 2 has a 2.4 cu ft firebox and its flue fits under a 29" lintel. Same for the Hearthstone Manchester which has a 3 cu ft firebox. The Jotul F500 has an optional short leg kit that may drop the flue exhaust far enough down for your setup. Inquire at your local Jotul dealer.

Status
Not open for further replies.