Smallest cat stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BillsWS

Feeling the Heat
Dec 20, 2011
U.P. Michigan
Can you direct me to the smallest cat stove you know of? Small firebox, footprint and clearances.

Thank you.

Since you already have a Blaze King, then the Sirocco should appeal to you.

Not a free stander but last summer when I took the Travis Industries tour they showed us a ZC cat insert that was in development. IIRC the firebox was in the 1.x size. I think target market was condos.

Not a free stander but last summer when I took the Travis Industries tour they showed us a ZC cat insert that was in development. IIRC the firebox was in the 1.x size. I think target market was condos.
Interesting! Maybe I'll see it at the HPBA show this year!

Can you direct me to the smallest cat stove you know of? Small firebox, footprint and clearances.

Thank you.

The Vermont Castings Intrepid is the smallest cat stove I can think of offhand. Woodstock Keytone or Palladian would be the next in line I think.

The trouble with the woodstock cat line is the huge clearance requiements. Especially in back. The current princess he has only requires 6" in back. If you can live with the clearance requirements, the keystone seems to be a well thought out stove with respectable burn times. If you get too small then you need to worry about special lengths of firewood.

If you want a small stove, the scandanavians seem to have a lot of really cool options. All non-cat.

The trouble with the woodstock cat line is the huge clearance requiements. Especially in back. The current princess he has only requires 6" in back. If you can live with the clearance requirements, the keystone seems to be a well thought out stove with respectable burn times. If you get too small then you need to worry about special lengths of firewood.

If you want a small stove, the scandanavians seem to have a lot of really cool options. All non-cat.

Just remember that so called Keystone/Palladian huge rear clearance can be made up with the shorter 8" front clearance requirement in most cases.

Reactions: raybonz and jeff_t
Just remember that so called Keystone/Palladian huge rear clearance can be made up with the shorter 8" front clearance requirement in most cases.

Never thought about that. The Princess is 6" from the thermostat housing, which protrudes 4" off the back of the stove, plus 16" in front. The 30" clearance of the Keystone is cut in half with the heat shield, so the 8" in front makes it a wash. Depending on stove dimensions, the Keystone may require less room front to back.

What's your plan for this small stove, Bill?

Never thought about that. The Princess is 6" from the thermostat housing, which protrudes 4" off the back of the stove, plus 16" in front. The 30" clearance of the Keystone is cut in half with the heat shield, so the 8" in front makes it a wash. Depending on stove dimensions, the Keystone may require less room front to back.

While true, this may not be helpful. You and todd are both describing the hearth pad dimensions. The keystone requires the same size hearth pad as other stoves but due to the huge rear clearance requirements, the stove will still have to be set way out into the room. If your hearth is flush or your entire floor is non-combusible then you end up with a very small stove taking up the same amount of valuable living space as a much larger one. The OP asked for small clearances.

From what I understand, you can even shorten the hearth in front of the keystone further if you elevate the hearth. So if you can tolerate the stove way out in the living space then the keystone may be more attractive.

I don't see the point of a small cat stove since you can run cat stoves at low outputs. The draw must be a smaller footprint. I especially don't see the point of a small cat stove if you have to place it way out into the living space.

It depends on what the clearance and footprint issues are. The Keystone will certainly stick out into the space less than the Princess. The Keystone is a side loader at only 20" deep. With the rear heat shield, the front of the stove will be 35" into the room. The Princess is 31" deep by itself. So, if you're looking for a smaller hearth and stove footprint, the Keystone would certainly be better than the Princess. Of course, that's a silly comparison since the Princess is a much larger stove.

The Sirocco 20 and Chinook 20 are both 26" deep, so with the clearance differences they will "stick out" a couple inches less than the Keystone. But, the hearth will still be deeper since they're front loaders.

It all depends on the layout, hearth type, etc. Maybe there's no wall behind the stove? Who knows...

Maybe the OP can clarify the goal?

Dutchwest model 2640 small cast iron cat stove is only 16" deep and looks good for a decent price.. Link to manual:

http://tinyurl.com/abf3ldz

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.