Smallest insert available?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

whardy7

Nov 22, 2006
I am needing an insert that fits 24"w x 19"h x 16"d. I cannot seem to locate anyone that makes one that small, although I have to believe it exists.

Any ideas or help?

Thank you,
WH

If you are looking for a wood burning insert, I believe the Hearthstone Morgan will fit your dimensions.

**Edit** Doh....I just double checked it and I think your depth is too shallow

19 h is your limitation. I do not believe that exists. How high off the floor is the top of the fireplace opening?

You might get by with a small stove with a low flue output. Maybe a Hearthstone Homestead hearthmount?

www.hearthstonestoves.com

That is one tiny opening. Some stoves are close, but off by an inch is off by a mile. Can you post a picture that shows the fireplace and the hearth? Maybe there is an alternative that doesn't (or does) have a chisel involved.

The one I have, the 2700i by Quadrafire, fits into a 19" high opening. It needs 171/8 or so of depth though. I put mine in a Heatilator zc fireplace.

It seems depth would be easier to work around than the others, but maybe not. I will post a picture and see if anyone has any ideas. Thank you for all the responses.

WH

I have attached a picture

Attachments

• Fireplace.jpg
    Fireplace.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 491
I have the same question, but seem to have an even smaller opening. You may want to look at the Country Stove Striker C160. It appears that it needs an opening of 18 1/2 H; 23 1/8 W; 14 D. Because of the arch in my opening, even that won't fit in my fireplace. (See below.)

Attachments

• tim fireplace.JPG
    tim fireplace.JPG
    23.6 KB · Views: 421
Tim on H, that fireplace I'd look into attaching a thimble further above into the flue, putting a freestanding stove on the hearth.

Whardy7, is the inside of your fireplace cast iron? My fireplace originally had a cast iron fireplace, on removal a normal masonry fireplace was behind it. If that makes any sense... I should've taken a picture of the cast iron thing pulled out, the cast iron thing had it's own damper and grate. After removal the normal fireplace was still there, intact, even had firebrick, ash dump, and damper.

I was thinking of the Striker as well, but that requires 25.5 width. I also like the Lopi Answer, though slightly too big with current specs. However, I think Rhone has it correct. There may be more space with the cast front removed.

http://www.countrystoves.com/documents/Insert_Specs.pdf

I'm worried that if you get an insert that's so small you won't be happy with the short burn times you'll get from the tiny firebox. It might be better to get a good sized free standing stove and just run the chimney into your fireplace and up your existing flue.

heydan said:
I'm worried that if you get an insert that's so small you won't be happy with the short burn times you'll get from the tiny firebox. It might be better to get a good sized free standing stove and just run the chimney into your fireplace and up your existing flue.

Excellent point since he has't defined the heaters intended operation parameters.

Edit: never mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.