Smart Saw Buck

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
looks good never used one but sure seems portable as well

Alberta Burner said:
Seen this little gem while looking at that chopping wedge thing in the other post. Has anyone used one or own one? Looks like it would be very useful

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=15730

I got one last year and think it is a great product. As I recall there was a thread on it and at least a couple others had it and liked it.

Saw that a year ago, looked at it again this year. Watched the Youtube video link from Bailey's and saw that a fellow in an Eastern European country built one and his worked well. I'm cheap, so I went to the local steel store and bought some one by one thin wall and welded one up. Used angle for the legs, and cut some 3/16"x1" into little 45deg. teeth for it. It works great, will hold up to a 14"diax7' log due to the adjustable swinging jaw that the fellow in the eastern block had on his and that I copied, and it makes it really easy to get all into the correct length without bending over. I park the 10cu. ft. wheelbarrow under it to catch what I cut. A real back saver. Mine looks a little heavier, but then it's mostly going to be used in my gravel pad/parking area/wood processing area.

WASAJCO said:
Saw that a year ago, looked at it again this year. Watched the Youtube video link from Bailey's and saw that a fellow in an Eastern European country built one and his worked well. I'm cheap, so I went to the local steel store and bought some one by one thin wall and welded one up. Used angle for the legs, and cut some 3/16"x1" into little 45deg. teeth for it. It works great, will hold up to a 14"diax7' log due to the adjustable swinging jaw that the fellow in the eastern block had on his and that I copied, and it makes it really easy to get all into the correct length without bending over. I park the 10cu. ft. wheelbarrow under it to catch what I cut. A real back saver. Mine looks a little heavier, but then it's mostly going to be used in my gravel pad/parking area/wood processing area.

I was thinking the same thing when I saw that. If you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost you to build yours?

If I remember, about $30~40. Hard part was clamping and drilling the swinging jaw verticals to drill for adjustment. I made mine taller, so It could have been cheaper. Steel in WY is like gold. Cheaper on the coasts, especially East.

I was thinking something along those lines that can slip into a 2" hitch receiver.

WASAJCO said:
If I remember, about $30~40. Hard part was clamping and drilling the swinging jaw verticals to drill for adjustment. I made mine taller, so It could have been cheaper. Steel in WY is like gold. Cheaper on the coasts, especially East.

Thanks for the info, that's not bad at all, I usually go to a local place and pick through the scrap pile, I can prob get all but the longest pieces that way. And it gives me a chance to practice welding.

Northern Tool had theirs on sale last month but I think their regular price is cheaper.

Wasajco, could you post some pics of your build? (or is that yours in the video)? Do you still use it or was it one of those things that you build and don't end up using as much as you think you were going to? I think we all have some of those projects around. :down:

I built it a month ago, use it quite a lot. My arborist customer tells me when he knocks down an elm, which is the only real decent hardwood around here and he doesn't cut to length, so I use it to cut all that nasty siberian elm. My toy is the same as what the fellow built on Youtube, only with 1" thin wall square tubing instead of his rectangular tubing, I copied almost exactly except for the height, and the fact that my horizontal legs[the part that lays across the ground] are 5' of 1 1/4" angle iron. Sorry, no pics, not a picture person. Didn't even take pic's of my first Antelope this year. When I'm done working I will look into what is required to post pics. If I have to join some hosting site you'll have to rely on the excellent Youtube video. If an ex mister goodwrench can do it, you can too!

Be nice to see a close-up of the locking mechanism ( bayleys version) in the upper part that swings down to hold the log.
For those of us who wold consider building one.

Status
Not open for further replies.