Smart Splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FirewoodAddict

Jan 7, 2015
SE PA
http://smartlogsplitter.com/index.html

Not sure if anyone has posted anything about this little gadget but I am pleasantly surprised with its ability!

I will say that its not my first means of defense. I started with a X27 Fiskars and have graduated to a 22 ton Ariens. However, the Smart Splitter is the slickest little kindling splitter I've ever used and I use it everyday. It "can" split logs but if your an able bodied person, swinging the ol' axe is a more energy efficient way of processing rounds than constantly lifting the weight and slamming it down repetitively JMHO, if a gas powered splitter is not available.

My sister-in-law gets all the credit since thats what she got me for Christmas and I never even heard of it until it was sitting in my lap! So out of the box it came, handful of peices with directions: basically lay down a good 24-30" round, drill a 3/4" hole (bit included), install the pole, throw the wedge and weight on top and hammer away!!

On top of being a great kindling splitter, I have had alot of success de-barking ash. Its all I have as EAB has decimated the area and ive recovered about 9 cords so far with more starting to look pretty bad in the crowns. Anyway for those that burn alot of ash white specifically, this will pop the bark off of the rounds and splits towards the bottom 1/3 of the tree where the tread is the thickest. I do see a difference in the quality of the burns with the bark off as opposed to on. The heavy treaded bark seems to create more smoke and weigh down the flames. Would probably work on any heavy treaded bark but cant say for sure, havent had anything else to test it out on. Anyway just my 2 cents. Enjoy

Stevo

Attachments

• image_02.png
    image_02.png
    479.5 KB · Views: 371
  • image_01.png
    image_01.png
    486.5 KB · Views: 307
Last edited:
When I saw your title "Smart Splitter" I envisioned one with electronics, and which you could operate from behind your livingroom window using your smart phone, beer in hand, while your wife is out there lifting rounds and stacking splits.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Lol, my sentiments exactly!

Hahahaha, oh Lord ders a fire!

Status
Not open for further replies.