SmartLog report

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay777

Jul 2, 2008
Metro-West MA
I bought a box of 12 "Smart Logs" (40 lbs), just to try them out. I've never been sure if I've had good burns on my new insert (Regency i2400). I've only had one really good sustained secondary burn (stovetop temp 425). My wood isn't great, bought "seasoned" last June.

So anyway, the SmartLogs are about 10" long, 4" diameter. They break apart very easily if you don't carry them carefully. I put a layer of 4 N/S on the morning bed of coals, and another 2 E/W on top of those (I only carried up 6 :))

They caught very easily, and after ten minutes I shut down the primary air. They went right into a full secondary burn.. very nice. Stovetop temp took about 30 minutes to climb to 460, which is the highest I've ever had it. The steamer water was boiling.. think that's the first time for that as well. The secondary burn lasted about 45 minutes beyond that point, and then died down into glowing log-shaped coals. They mostly keep they shape as they burn. Right now if I hit them with a rake, I'm sure they'd break apart into ash and small coals.

One of the ones on top rolled down to the front of the stove, against the door.. not really happy about that, since I couldn't have opened the door at that point without risk. However, the hot burn did clean all the soot off the door, except for the burn spot where the rolling log was resting.

So I know we've had a couple of "how hot does a Regency i2400 get" threads in the past few months. I'm comfortable with saying now that a hot fire registers 450 on my thermometer (stovetop, about 6 inches from the left edge) Hopefully next year my wood will be dry enough to get me there all the time.

As for the SmartLogs, they certainly work, though they don't burn for all that long (well, they're not bad.. I'll update when they "go out".. still burning them now). Certainly not worthwhile in small quantities, but I could see buying a pallet of those things (or BioBricks, etc.) to keep in the garage for those days when I really don't want to go outside. There's also a slightly weird smell when they burn.. not the same as burning regular splits. That's a negative.

Thank for the review Jay. Sounds like smartlogs are perhaps lower density pressed logs. I wasn't too impressed by the low-density logs either. Too much ash and they burned up too quickly. There's a big difference between burning this type of log and burning the high-density pressed logs or bricks.

Here's a comparison burning:
http://www.hearthwise.com/page/page/4064628.htm

and some tests I did a couple years ago with BioBricks, Home Fire Prest-Logs (Hearthwise in the east) and Northern Idaho Energy Logs:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/wiki/Category:Fuels/

About five hours now.. I haven't touched them. Lots of ash, mostly log-shaped, but still enough coals to restart a fire (with regular wood).

Well, I hope there are enough :)

I may have to go back and try a box of SmartLogs again. I tried one box very early this season (my first) and was not impressed, and switched to EcoFirelogs. My stove shop carries both, plus BioBricks. Side by side comparison feel shows the highest density is the Bio's, then the Eco's, and then the Smarts are the lowest of the three - they feel spongy almost.

I was tickled that the guys had BioBricks this time, and i bought 10 packs of them. ($7.95 per 38 lb pack of 20 bricks vs $7.50 per 30 lb box of 10 EcoFirelogs). I'm pretty happy with the heat output and duration of the Bio's so far - tho ash buildup is higher than I'd like. They definitely sit in their brick-like splendor longer than the Eco's.

We're trying to use them in largely the same way we use the Eco's, which is packed into the center of a cordwood pile. Also trying just BioBricks a few times, as we're interested in possibly switching over to them next year. I think we're definitely going to order a pallet of them - just need to ensure I can keep them dry in the barn or on one of the covered porches.

I was going to pick some hearthwise logs up one weekend when Im up in the Leominster Ma area just to try them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.