smell of smoke every time I come home from work...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

adam2591

Dec 5, 2007
Sunapee Region, NH
I just bought and installed a Breckwell insert. I am using all stainless steel piping, sealed and taped. The chimney has been stuffed with fiberglass... I have left the stove running during the day at setting 2 of 5. It seems to smolder more than burn. When I crank up the stove to 3 or 4, the smell goes away. The source is from the fan that captures the heat from the heat exchangers. Does anyone have any idea why this is happening and what I might be able to do about it? Thanks in advance.

Adam

It should not be smoldering at all. A pellet stove should always have somewhat of an excited flame on the pellets. That indicates a clean burn.
I am not saying anything is wrong with your stove, but it may have settings as far as air inlets, or the pot may be out of position.

As far as your installation, fiberglass is not the right way to block off the damper area - a block off metal plate, tightly sealed, will work best. But perhaps you should attack one problem at a time!

Is the liner all the way up to the top?
was your chimney cleaned before install

The blowers for the stove suck air from the fireplace firebox
if the fireplace is not clean or the Block off to the damper is not a good seal it will suck all ash from the smoke self of your fireplace.

Status
Not open for further replies.