SMELL OF SMOKE IN HOUSE

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BIRDSEED

Oct 16, 2015
NY
HELLO,
I HAVE A AVALON ARBOR PELLET STOVE .I AM GETTING A SMOKE SMELL IN THE HOUSE WHEN RUNNING. I HAVE CLEANED CHIMNEY PIPE CORKED AROUND ALL JOINTS AND SEEMS THAT THE SMELL IS COMMING IN FROM THE AIR THAT IS BEING BLOWN BY THE BLOWER ON THE TOP OF THE DOORS . HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS PROBLEM . THANKS

Welcome to the site. Most smoke issues end up being a pin hole leak in the venting. I like giving the joints a couple turns of self bonding silicone tape , usually available in the electrical dept at home improvement stores. It stretches tight sealing well and not having any holes for the smoke to sneak through.

Smoke smell while running isn't good. Vent/chimney isn't pulling a good enough draft.

If the smoke smell is coming from the room blower, that might indicate a cracked heat exchanger tube.

Reactions: Cory S
But if a tube was cracked that would also mean that the burn chamber is lacking vacuum unless that is one of the few stoves with positive pressure chamber.

1) Agree with Bioburner - likely a small leak in venting, at a seam, and silicone tape (no adhesive, and rated for high temperature!!!) is your best friend. At the very least it will help rule out a cracked exchanger, or help to confirm it. Auto parts stores carry it or can order it for you, if local home improvement stores don't have it. 2) TURN OFF ALL CAPS - YOU'RE YELLING AT US..

Status
Not open for further replies.