smell of wood burning from my enviro ef3?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
from what i have seen if the gap is big enough to spit ash out it is pretty obvious to find. the one here sounds like one that gives you a very faint smoke trail on ignition if it is not bieng disturbed by air movement. once the stove lights your visible clue is gone. my point is a pipe joint leak can be hard to find and is the most probable. i would bet when this is all over that is where the source of the problem is.

If the smoke can get out the very fine ash also gets out and over time it will either seal the leak or make itself visible. Not all leaks that are found by ash deposits are large, while the odds are in favor of what you are thinking to be the cause, one should not rule out the other side of the exhaust system, from the sounds of things the OP has been over the combustion blower to stack side more than once.

For example the hopper if it isn't sealed may on start up or shut down act as a chimney by providing the path of least resistance for a short time, chances are then good that smoke can be hauled through the air intake system of the convection blower, if it doesn't escape the surround before the blower kicks in. I've also seen smoke come out the scraper rod exit if there was a very strong fan running close by.

The combustion air path of these stoves is nothing more than a double ended chimney with a fire in the middle. Yet another reason to use that dreaded and much discussed OAK. You set the stove up and then you discover all of the real world things that can happen. Murphy is the proud ancestor of most devices made by people, these stoves aren't exempt.

Status
Not open for further replies.